Ashton in Makerfield Golf Club.
The club was founded in 1902 by a small group of golfing enthusiasts including cricketing friends Tom Mayall and Andrew Molyneux.
Result of the Gerard Cup bogey competition played in July 1926; G W Patisson (5), P Wild (14), R Stobo, 1down; F Bullough (7), 2down; E Marsh (7), A Dickinson (12), F V Waddington (14), 4down.
Following WW2 the secretary was H J Whitehead, The Laurels, Laurel Grove, Ashton. The club had a membership of 150. The greenkeeper was G Derbyshire. In 1947 it was listed as a nine-hole course with a SSS of 67. Course records were; amateur, T Teasdale, 69; professional, G Duncan, 68. Visitors’ fees were; 2/- a day, 2/6 on Sunday and Bank holidays.
In the mid 1950s the secretary was J T Jones, 217 Downall Green Road, Bryn. Membership was now 120. G Derbyshire was now the professional and greenkeeper. Amateur course record held by J L Arrowsmith, 65. The nine holes had a total length (18 holes) of 5,060 yards.
The secretary at the Bryn course in 1965 was H Howard Else, 11 Winchester Avenue, Ashton. The (9 hole) course at this time had a total length of 6,104 yards and a SSS of 71. Visitors’ fees were; 5/- a day and 7/6 on Saturday, Sunday and Bank holidays.
In the early 1960s Lancashire County Council announced that they intended to develop the Old Bryn course and if necessary would make a Compulsory Purchase Order on the land. Ashton Golf Club needed to find a new home; the club moved to Garswood Park in 1965.
Below is a Google Map showing the present day location of the former course.