Brookdale (Clayton) Golf Club, Manchester.
Founded 1896 as Clayton Golf Club. The 9 hole course had a SSS of 68 and Par of 70. Membership of 100 to 180. Brookdale Golf Club first appeared in 1906 and was situated at Lord Lane, Failsworth. The railway station (L&YR) was 5 minutes away.
Below is the result of a ladies’ match played on July 13th 1899 at Clayton against Failsworth.
|Miss L Brundrett||0||Miss Beattie||5|
|Miss M Brundrett||9||Mrs Moore||0|
|Miss Esplin||6||Miss A Beattie||0|
|Miss K Brundrett||3||Miss Newton||0|
|Miss Scott||0||Miss Scottt||2|
|Mrs Grimshaw||2||Miss E Beattie||0|
Below is the result of a match played against Failsworth at Clayton in July 1901.
|H Brundret||8||A O Ferguson||0|
|J Brundret||1||A Taylor||0|
|L Gaisman||4||G E Ferguson||0|
|S Dreyfus||0||W Crossley||6|
|E Wray||0||R Lakin||2|
|T Hewlett||0||P Hughes||2|
|V Eva||0||D Pagan||12|
Result of a match played against Failsworth (also defunct) in July 1909.
|H Brundret||1||A Taylor||0|
|J A Dyson||0||A O Ferguson||0|
|F E Gilder||0||W A Storey||0|
|A G Worthington||1||H Ingham||0|
|H Connally||0||C Cooper||1|
|C E Ward||0||J Edge||1|
|J W Linney||1||J Hood||0|
|T Johnson||0||F J Grinrod||0|
|C E Swales||0||H Dunkerley||1|
|G Birchenall||0||K L Lawson||1|
|J Smith||1||G Howarth||0|
|S Hoskisson||1||W A Taylor||0|
Result of the second monthly competition for Mr T Johnson’s prize played on Saturday 13th November 1909; H Brundret, 78nett, C P Senior, 80nett; J A Dyson, 81nett; G A Hartley, 84nett; C E Swales, 85nett; A G Worthington, 87nett; S Hoskisson, 90nett; J Lees, 92nett; W A Copper, 92nett; J Bridge, 92nett; C Linney, 93nett; C Godbert, 96nett.
The final for a prize given by Mr C W Godbert was played on Saturday 23rd September 1911, leading scores; W A Copper, all square; J A Dyson, 2down; G A Hartley, 3down; C E Swales, 3down; H Barratt, 4down; S Hoskisson, 5down; C Rothwell, 5down.
Result of a competition held in February 1914 for a prize presented by Mr William Birkbeck; Mr George Hartley, 87-11-76; T W Robinson, 92-13-79; R L Harrison, 99-18-81; J A Dyson, 88-5-83; James Lees, 98-15-83; W C Copper, 93-7-86; C Rothwell, 98-11-87; C P Senior, 100-12-88.
Result of a competition in March 1914 for a prize presented by Mr J Walton; C Rothwell, 91-9-82; A G Worthington, 91-6-85; H Barratt, 99-14-85; R L Harrison, 103-18-85; C E Swales, 97-10-87. Bogey score 78.
|1907-11||Harry E Roffe (p)|
|1914||C E Swales, Mount Vernon, Clayton Bridge.|
|1920s (early)||J Barratt, Mount Vernon, Clayton Bridge.|
|1922||H Stansfield (g)|
|1923/4||D Heraghty (g)|
|1924||H Wolstencroft, Holly Bank House, Clayton Bridge.|
|1925-27||J W Lee, 19 Bedford Avenue, Whalley Bridge.|
|1925||H Whittaker (g)|
|1926-28||J C Moss (g)|
|1920s (late)||G A Taylor, 58 Daisy Bank, Newton Heath.||S Marsh (g)|
|1947||A Owen, 4 Wright Srteet, Failsworth.||J Fleming (p) M Greenwood (g)|
|1956-60||A R Latham, 141 Cultheth Lane, Newton Heath.||J Collinge (p&g)|
In 1922/3 the amateur course record holder was H Saul 72. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day and 2/6 a week.
Below is the result of a match played against Blackley in July 1926.
|W A Copper||1||J Carr||0|
|A Moore||0||C G Stevens||1|
|G Jackson||0||C Weatherilt||1|
|T Jackson||0||R Briggs||1|
|H Barratt||1||E B Shepherd||0|
|H Lee||0||W Ormrod||1|
|W C Barnes||1||F Fitzpatrick||0|
|R Taylor||0||J L Barker||1|
|A Blackburn||0||F Bowman||1|
|G A Hartley (half)||0||C Teggins (half)||0|
|C E Swales||0||E Banks||1|
|H Taylor||1||G J Irving||0|
|J Lee||0||F G Percival||1|
|G Sudren||0||J Latham||1|
Result of a ladies’ competition for a prize given by Mrs H Taylor played in July 1926; Miss Sudren, 89-20-69; Miss Birkbeck, 95-24-71; Miss M Livesey, 92-18-74; Mrs Crawshaw, 103-26-77; Miss A Livesey, 106-26-80.
In the late 1920s and 1940s visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day and 7/6 a week.
In the late 1950s the professional course record was held by J Fleming 66. Visitors’ fees were 3/- a day.
Following WW2 moves were afoot to develop the course for housing. With land prices on the rise the club reluctantly decided to move to a new home and the Lord Lane course disappeared.
The club moved to its present location in 1960.