Claremont Golf Club, Pendleton, Manchester.
Founded 1906. Prior to WW1 it was a 9 hole course with a membership of 300.
Result of the final winter medal of the season played in March 1913; G Elder, 108-24-84; M H Barnes, 95-10-85; Rev J Sutcliffe, 106-20-86; E Collinge, 93-5-88.
Result of the final winter medal competition held in March 1914; J T Jimson, 92-14-78; E Collinge, 82-3-79; H Brown, 95-15-80; H W Mills, 89-9-81; J H Hardman, 105-20-85; M H Barnes, 93-8-85; W Higham, 108-22-86; W E Brown, 92-5-87; H D Law, 100-13-87; S Kenyon, 108-20-88. Bogey score 76.
In 1914 the address was Claremont Golf Club, 31 Penelope Road, Pendleton. Entry fee for gents was £4/4/0 and ladies £1/1/0. Subs for gents were £2/2/0 and ladies 10/6. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day and 5/- a week. Ladies were not allowed to play Tuesday evening or Saturday afternoon. Sunday play was not allowed.
|1906/7||J Greaves (p)|
|1907-12||C Pixton (p)|
|1913||A Ash croft (p)|
|1914||R Heatley, 33 Brazennose Street, Manchester .|
|1913-17||Simon Parr (p)|
|1919-22||Joseph Parr (p)|
|1925||Thomas Keeton, 173 Swinton Hall Road, Swinton.||E Bourne (p) S Rudge (g)|
A remarkable occurrence took place on the Claremont Golf Club course on Sunday August 9th 1925. Whilst playing in a match on the 140 yard fourteenth hole both Mr W S Evans and R L Matthews holed in one. It was reported at the time that this was only the third time in the annals of the Royal and Ancient game that a hole had been halved in one.
Claremont Golf Club disappeared in 1926. At this time it was an 18-hole course with a membership of 400. Visitors’ fees were 2/6 a day 2/- with a member, Sundays 3/6. The station at Eccles (LNW) was 4 miles away. Electric tramcars from Manchester ran every 4 minutes, a 20 minute journey to within 5 minutes of the course.
Claremont Golf Club closed in 1925/6 due to a new housing and road development. The club moved a short distance and became Swinton Park.