Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Ambleside & District Golf Club, Loughrigg, Cumbria.

The club was founded in 1903.

A 9-hole course with a SSS of 70 and Par of 72, and a  club membership of between 120 and 150. The railway station at Windermere London North Western was 5 miles. The pier at Ambleside, and the Waterhead Steamer were 1 ½ miles away. Local hotels were The Salutation, Queens, Vale View, Wateredge, Warsfell Tower and the Waterhead.

The formal opening of the new clubhouse took place on Tuesday 18th August 1903. The opening ceremony was carried out by the President, Mr F M T Jones-Balme, High Close, Ambleside.

In 1906 visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day, 6/- a week and 15/- a month.

In 1907 the amateur course record, C H Stephens 35.

A sad note, on Tuesday 25th August 1908 Joseph Pye, professional at Ambleside, formerly of St Annes, collapsed and died after driving off from the seventh tee. It was reported that “While playing round in a Foursome he suddenly complained of feeling out of sorts. His three companions went on leaving him to rest on the seventh tee but on again going round the course they found him, as they had left him, huddled up on the seventh tee. He was about thirty years of age.” 

 

Ambleside & District Golf Club, Cumbria. Newspaper advert from April 1909.

From The Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Observer April 26th 1909. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

The text accompanying the above advert. “The golf links are situated on the other side of town, and a stiff climb faces the would-be player. But it is justified. The course is of nine-holes and from the greens some of the most glorious views imaginable are to be obtained. After a half-day spent on the links a return to even Ambleside suggests re-entrance to the whirr of the Twentieth Century. The clubhouse afford ample accommodation, and visitors may become temporary members for short or long periods.”  

In 1911 the secretary was Bernard Fletcher, Scandale Brow, Ambleside and the professional A Stewart.

In 1914 entry fee was £1/1/0 and Subscriptions £1/1/0. Sunday play was not allowed at this time. George A Johnston, MD, Loughrigg, Ambleside, took over as secretary in 1914.

 

Ambleside Golf Club and course from the eighth tee.

Postcard Published by Masons - from the eighth tee at Ambleside. Authors Collection.

 

Throughout the 1920s visitors’ fees were 2/6 a day, 10/- a week, 21/- a month. Sunday play was allowed, without caddies.

Result of the July 1931 monthly medal; A E Huddlestone, 79-9-70; R Youdell, 80-8-72.

In March 1946 the Ambleside Golf Club were seeking a green-keeper. The advert offered wages of £3 a week; house (vacant possession), rent, rates and coal all free – Applications to R Youdell, Greenfolds, Ambleside.  

Throughout the 1950s visitors’ fees were 3/6 a day.

 

Ambleside & District Golf Club, Cumbria. Postcard from 1959 showing the fifth green.

Postcard dated 1959 showing the fifth green. Image courtesy of Frank Accleton.

 

Secretary - Professional/Greenkeeper 1906-8 - F E T Jones-Balme, High Close, Ambleside. Joseph Pye (professional.)

1912-14 - D G Ainslie Johnston, Market Square, Ambleside. A Lickbarrow (professional.)

1920s Herbert Jackson, "Moorfield", Ambleside. K G Addison (green-keeper.)

1931 - R Youdell, Kirkstone Brow, Ambleside. 

1935-48 - R Youdell, "Greenfolds", Ambleside.A Walker (professional.)

1950s - H Stubbs, Gale Mount, Ambleside. 

 

  Course records
1906 A Jackson (am) 38 C Leigh (pro) 37
1936-48 G Gascoigne (am) 71 R Harrison (pro) 65
1950s J Shaw (am) 68 R Harrison (pro) 63

 

Location of the Ambleside Golf Club course.

The remote location of the Ambleside course.

Grid reference NY36035,04460, co-ordinates 336035,504460.

 

Ambleside Golf  Club Course and Clubhouse.

Mason Series Postcard showing the clubhouse and links dated 1912. Authors Collection.

 

Ambleside & District Golf Club disappeared in the late 1950s.