Buttermere (Victoria Proprietary Golf Club), Cumbria.
First appeared in the mid 1930s, the secretary was John Nicholas Size, Victoria Hotel, Buttermere and the greenkeeper S Pattison. 9 hole course. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day and Sunday play was allowed with caddies. The nearest railway station was at Cockermouth 10 miles away. Local hotel was the Victoria.
In 1940 and 1947 secretary still N Size the professional was now E Harrison and the greenkeeper J Houghton. 9 holes, with a SSS and Par of 33. Visitors’ fees now 2/- a day and 10/- a week.
John Nicholas Size was a novelist and writer who originally worked in railway administration; he always had a desire to move to his beloved Lake District. In 1920, he reopened the derelict Bridge Hotel which he renamed The Victoria Hotel. In the 1930s he purcased a further piece of land, a relatively flat area leading down to Crummock, where he developed a nine-hole golf course which was free to hotel guests. The hotel then became known as the ‘Victoria Golf Hotel’.
Buttermere (Victoria Proprietary Golf Club) had disappeared by 1951.