Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Gilsland Golf Club, Cumbria.

First appeared in the early 1920s, the club continued for about 10 years. The secretary throughout was J C Hall, Schoolhouse, Gilsland. A 9 hole course with a membership of between 80 and 100. The L&NER station at Gilsland was ¾ mile away. Local hotels included the Spring House which was near the spa well and golf links also Orchard House, Spa, Dacre House and Raise House. Visitors’ fees in the early 1920s were 1/- a day, 3/6 a week, 5/- a fortnight and 7/6 a month.

In 1925 membership peaked at nearly 100. The professional and greenkeeper was C Bennett who also held the course record of 31. Visitors’ fees were now 1/6 a day, 5/- a week, 7/6 a fortnight, 10/- a month.

From 1926 to its closure in the early 1930s the greenkeeper  was R Smith. Membership had gradually declined to about 80. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day, 1/- after 5pm, 2/- on Sundays, 4/- for the weekend, 6/- a week, 10/- a fortnight and 12/6 a month.

Gilsland Golf Club, Cumbria. Location of the former course.

Location of the Gilsland course.

Grid reference NY62900,67525, co-ordinates362900,567525.