Kirkby Lonsdale Golf Club, Cumbria.
Founded 1906. The secretary from 1914 to 1923 was Herbert Gunson, 8 Bective Road. A 9 hole dry course on gravel soil it was situated on undulating ground with plenty of hazards. There were railway stations at Kirkby Lonsdale 1 ¾ miles and Arkholme 4 ½ miles away. Local hotels were the Royal, Red Dragon, Sun, and Waverley.
In 1914 the professional was A Fisher. There was a membership of 115. The entry fee was 10/6 and the subs 10/6. Visitors’ fees on introduction were 1/- a day, 3/- a week and 10/- a month. Sunday play was not allowed.
In 1923 the greenkeeper was H Metcalfe. Membership was now 100. Visitors’ fees were increased to 2/- a day, 5/- a week and 15/- a month.
1924 and the secretary was F R Forsyth, 15 New Road, Kirkby Lonsdale and the greenkeeper W B Eason.
Amateur course record was 64. Sunday play allowed without caddies.
In 1929/30 the secretary was C P Roberts, 15 New Road, Kirkby Lonsdale and the greenkeepers W Atkinson (1929) and J H Blenkharn (1930). Club membership at this time was 100.
In 1935 the secretary was F Jackson, 29 Main Street, Kirkby Lonsdale, telephone 27.
The clubs final appearance was in 1940 when the secretary was R Collinge, The Cottage, Kirkby Lonsdale the greenkeeper was J H Blenkharn. The 9 hole course had a SSS and Par of 64 and a membership of 100. Visitors’ fees were now 2/6 a day, 5/- a week and 15/- per month.
The current Kirkby Lonsdale club is at Scalebar Lane.