Shap Wells Golf Club, Cumbria.
The hotel had its own nine hole private course prior to WW1. The proprietor in 1910 was J H Whiteside, MD, CM. The exact location and layout of this first course has yet to be found. R J Clarke took over in 1912.
The club was re-established in 1921 with a nine-hole course laid out on the Lowther Estate by Joe Anderson the well known Perthshire professional from the Braemar Golf Club. Joe’s daughter was the famous Scottish lady golfer Jessie Valentine.
The nine-hole moorland course became a popular attraction for hotel guests. Visitors to the area were also welcome. During the 1930s green fees were 2/- a day, 7/6 a week with the additional attraction of Sunday play. The railway station at Shap was four miles away. Many local golfers also played on the course and it’s possible that competitions were arranged. As well as golf tennis became a popular pastime. The hotel offered an afternoon’s golf or tennis, with afternoon tea, for 2/6 inclusive.
At the onset of WW2 part of the course was requisitioned with the area around the first tee and ninth green being used as a POW garden. The rest of the course fell into decline and was used as farmland.
There were attempts to re-establish the course following the war but due to the excessive cost of the laying out of a course these plans never materialised.
Grateful thanks to Stephen Simpson of the Shap Wells Hotel for providing the above images and for the information regarding the Shap Wells course.