Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Burnley Golf Club, Lancs.

On June 2nd 1894 it was reported that Burnley was to have its own golf links. Negotiations were being made to lay out the course on land on the Hambledon side, just a 5 minute walk from Hapton station. It was hoped the club would be in “full swing” in a few weeks.

Following is a selection of early competition results for the club.

Officers of the club in 1894; President, Mr J O S Thursby; Captain, Mr Alexander Drew; Treasurer, Mr N P Gray; Hon Secreatry, Mr J Berry. Committee members; W H Hartley,  (Colne); Peart Robinson, (Reedley); A Baron, (Holme Sutcliffe); Dr Watson and Captain Jobling, (Burnley).

By March 1895 the club had made good progress, there were 100 gents and 35 lady members. Both the president J O S Thursby and the captain, A Drew had presented silver trophies to be played for by club members.

In August Lord O’Hagan had taken part in a foursome and was said to be quite interested in “ye ancient sport”  The experienced William Latto from the Morecambe & Heysham GC had been appointed professional and greenkeeper and was gradually improving the course. The new pavilion had now been erected, painted and decorated.

In April 1895 the trophy given by the President, Mr J O S Thursby JP, was played for, with 25 competitors taking part, leading scores; A Baron, 124 – 20 – 104; N P Gray, 134 – 25 – 109; J S Kay, 128 – 15 – 113; A Drew, 119 – 5 – 114.

A ladies competition in August, the prize was a silver cup presented to the ladies section by Mrs Thursby. It was won by Mrs James Berry.

The Captains Cup was played for in October, the course was in good condition, unfortunately it rained all day, and this is reflected in the scores. Mr H Bullock won the trophy with a 36 hole net score of 180. Other scores; N P Gray, 188; J N Grimshaw, 189; Dr Sinclair, 190; Dr Mackenzie, 192; J S Kay, 192; T Holroyd, 193. Due to the weather, there were many no returns and net scores over 200.

The 1902 competition season started in April with the qualifying round of the Burnley Cup, presented by Sir John O S Thursby. Following are the leading scores; R Woodward, 81 – 7 – 74; J B Dickinson, 83 – 9 – 74; W J Crabtree 82 – 6 – 76; W Smithies, 94 – 18 – 76; J S Kay, 90 – 14 – 76; J M Grant, 100 – 23 – 77; F Dickinson, 89 – 12 – 77; H Sutcliffe, 101 – 23 – 78; R Ross, 104 – 25 – 79.

Other fixtures for the coming season; qualifying rounds for the Burnley, Hapton and Mitchell Cups; May 10th Spring meeting, Stanhope medal and two handicap prizes.

Following is the result of an away club match against Todmorden in May -

Todmorden.
Holes.
Burnley.
Holes.
A R Crossley
0
W Crabtree
2
Dr McRobert
0
J B Dickinson
1
W Smith
0
H Dickinson
8
J Gask
0
Dr Mackenzie
8
C J Crossley
6
F Dickinson
0
J W Barker
0
F Scott
4
Dr Currie
10
F Drew
0
W Ormerod
0
J Kay
7
 
16
 
30

Competition winners for 1902; Burnley Cup, Mr J M Grant; Hapton Cup, Mr J B Dickinson; Mitchell Cup, Mr E Drew.

On the 29th June 1904 Robert Dunlop, the Burnley golf professional, playing with Mr T G Sandy, broke the course record at Hapton with a score of 70, as follows:

5,5,3,4,4,4,4,4,3 = 36; 4,5,2,4,3,4,5,4,3 = 34.

On each of the holes he had a five it was because of careless play so his score could have been even better.

On Saturday 9th July 1904 the third qualifying round of the Mitchell Cup was played in ideal weather on the Burnley course at Hapton. The following players qualified to take part in the match play tournament; F Walmsley, 97-30-67; T A Cooke, 93-20-73; A Drew, 92-16-76; A E Calvert, 93-17-76; L Proctor, 102-26-76.

On Saturday February 19th February 1910, on the Burnley Golf Club course at Hapton, the fourth qualifying competition for the Victoria Jubilee Cup took place. Mr J W Crabtree was first with A Drew J.P and E Drew, father and son , tying for second place.

It was also reported that work in connection with the Burnley Club’s new course at Heasandford had commenced, and it was probable that play would be possible when the notice on the Hapton links expires. For the majority of members this was good news as the new course was more convenient with a frequent tram service available. The train service to Hapton was very limited. 

On Friday 26th January 1912 the annual dinner of the Burnley Golf Club took place at the Bull Hotel. About sixty people attended.

At the time of WW1 the professional was George Ellis Vickers, who resided at the club. It’s probable that he combined the job of green-keeper, common practice in those days. 

The annual dinner was held at the Thorn Hotel on Friday 23rd January 1914. A Drew J.P was in the chair, and the captain for the year, W T Fullalove, was the vice-chairman. There were 52 members present to enjoy the evening.

A bogey competition played in March 1914 at Hapton resulted in a tie between Edward Riley and Reverend A Winfield.

On Saturday 19th September 1914 Victor Kershaw won the Captain’s Cup.

At the Burnley Golf Club, Hapton, in September 1920 a flag competition was won by Fred Thornber. The prize was handsome silver cigarette case given by Graham Kay.

The annual meeting was held in the pavilion in September in 1922. There was a good attendance of members. The financial statement was presented and accepted. Thanks were passed to retiring captain Charles Riley and secretary A Kingsley Lancaster of Burnley. Walter Preston was appointed president, W W Helm of Padiham was elected captain. Mr Kingley Lancaster was re-appointed secretary.  

The Burnley Golf Club ceased operations at Hapton in early 1923.   

For a map showing the location of the former Burnley course, see Hapton Golf Club.

Note; Glen View Golf Club was founded in 1905. It was decided that this club should become Burnley Golf Club at a meeting in May 1923.