Accrington & District Golf Club, Lancs.
Founded 1893. The original 9 hole moorland course was at Coppice, Peel Park, Accrington. In 1895 the location was described as follows “There is a splendid view of Pendle Hill, Ingleborough and the hills above Garstang and Lancaster including the renowned Trough of Bowland. The course had been visited by several well-known golfers, all of whom had declared that anyone who could play on the course could play anywhere”
Result of a club match played away at Blackburn in December 1895.
|Dr R Roberts||0||H M Aitken (capt)||0|
|J J Whalley||0||Rev J Just||4|
|M Taylor||2||H L Wilson||0|
|M Brothers||1||E J Riley||0|
|W Stirrup||0||A Wilson||1|
|C Chritchley||2||Jas Carter||0|
|D Greenwood (capt)||1||J T Kenyon||0|
|W Taylor||0||T Lightfoot||2|
|A Shutt||0||H S Grimshaw||2|
|J Hindle||0||H Griffiths||2|
At this time the Accrington club had been in existence for two years and most of the players representing the club had only been playing the game since the club was formed.
Result of the monthly medal played on Saturday 5th December 1896; Arthur Wilson, 93-8-85; T E Lightfoot, 98-8-90; James Hacking, 105-14-91; A H Aitken, 100-7-93; H S Grimshaw, 107-13-94; D Haworth, 110-15-95.
Below is the result of the monthly competition for the captain’s prize played on Saturday 3rd November 1900.
|E J Riley||90||9||81||J T Kenyon||100||14||86|
|John Law||93||11||82||R J Alston||99||12||87|
|B Hacking||100||18||82||W T Entwistle||105||18||87|
|E Coupe||92||8||84||A H Aitken||100||12||88|
|A E Higham||95||11||84||J T Kenyon jnr||102||14||88|
|H Griffiths||96||12||84||Jas Hacking||102||14||88|
|Joseph Wilson||92||7||85||Dr Greenhalgh||111||18||93|
|Rev H J Just||88||2||86|
In 1907 the secretary was J Shaw, 193 Manchester Road, Accrington. There was a membership of 120 with 27 ladies. Entry fee £2/2/0 and subs £1/1/0. The hilly course was laid out mainly on moorland. The holes varied in length from 127 - 420 yards, a tricky course particularly the first and ninth holes. There were splendid views of the Pennines from the 5th green at the summit of the course. Visitors' fees 1/- a day, 5/- a month. Sunday play was not allowed.
This course closed in August 1908 and the club moved to its present location.