Birkdale Golf Club, Lancs.
Founded 1889 Birkdale first played on a 9 hole course at Shaw’s Hills, now Bedford Park. The greenkeeper at the early course was a Mr Barrett, he also cleaned and repaired clubs. In 1897 the club moved to its current location to the west of Birkdale.
Below are a selection of club results played on the earlier course.
Result of a competition played in April 1891. The winner would receive a silver cup which was donated by the club. The handicap competition was open to members of West Lancashire, Southport, Formby and St Anne’s clubs. There was a second prize of gold cuff-links and studs, given by Mr R G Hayward, for the member of the Birkdale club (who was not the winner of the cup) with the best net score. There was a good entry but the course was not overcrowded as play was over the whole day. Several of the visitors spoke very highly of the course which they characterised as “quite unlike anything they had ever seen”
Mr J H F Hulton won the silver cup and W E Buckley the second prize. Scoring proved difficult in the windy conditions.
|J H F Hulton||103||16||87||E P Stephenson||124||23||101|
|R H Prestwich||94||6||88||J E Prestwich||121||20||101|
|F E M Dixon||92||3||89||P Swanwick||117||14||103|
|J Sheperd||95||4||91||H Rowland||118||14||104|
|J C Barrett jun||116||25||91||J F Sheperd||130||25||105|
|J W Fowler||92||scr||92||W J Drewett||134||25||109|
|W Rowland||105||12||93||R A Nicholson||118||8||110|
|W E Buckley||190||16||93||W T Rowley||128||18||110|
|H H Hilton||85||11||94||C A Colman||130||20||110|
|C Howarth||101||6||95||S B Leggatt||135||25||110|
|G Crowther||103||6||97||T C P Gibbons||138||24||114|
|J Betham||113||16||97||T Ogilvy||130||15||115|
|D C Anderson||124||25||99||G D S Crowther||131||10||121|
|R G Hayward||114||14||100||R Latchford jun||146||25||121|
|W Bowker||121||20||101||R Simpson||147||25||122|
|L D Stoddart||102||1||101||T O Clinning||147||24||123|
J S Beanford, H Dorning, R E Haslam, Dr Hewer, Dr Irvin, W W P Shatwell, and R L Worsley were amongst the no returns.
The first competition for the Pearson Prize took place in October 1892 in unfavourable weather conditions, result; Mr F Baker, 111-21-90; Mr W W P Shatwell, the club secretary, tied for second place with Mr W Bowker and Mr C A Colman with net 92.
The winner of the January medal in 1893 was Mr M Bowker, 102-19-83.
In February 1893 the medal was won by the club’s hon secretary Mr W W P Shatwell with a score of 92-12-80, Mr H Dorning was second, 99-18-81 and the Rev H J Bryan third, 110-28-82.
Later in February 1893 the Captain’s prize was won by Mr F Baker, 96-18-78, Mr T Turnbull was second, 88-9-79.
In March 1893 it states that this was the fifth monthly medal of the Birkdale club, it was won by Mr W Thompson, 110-30-80. Also in the same month the Crowther prize went to Mr W J Drewett, 103-27-76.
In the May medal 1893 the winner was Mr G D S Crowther, 83-3-80, Mr George Crowther was second, 96-8-88 and he won a box of golf balls.
In November 1893 the two prizes presented by G Kilvert Esq, open to Southport and Birkdale members, took place in a “hurricane” on the Birkdale course. Mr H Liebert and Mr G F Pearson tied for first place and a play off was to be arranged. Mr F Baker and Mr W Shatwell tied for third, and divided the sweepstakes. Only eight cards were below 100 net.
It was reported in November 1896 that “The members of the Birkdale Club have acquired over 200 acres of land for new links, contiguous to the Southport Railway. The layout of the course is progressing rapidly, and will be available for play early in the spring”