Bolton Golf Clubs, Old Links and Smithills, Lancs.
Founded in 1891 the original 9 hole course was situated at Green Lane, Great Lever, Bolton, land now occupied by Bolton Cricket Club. The club subsequently moved to Manchester Road, Bolton and, in 1896, to Lightbounds Farm, Smithills, at which time the club became known as Bolton Golf Club, Smithills.
In 1912 -13, the club split, with half of the members moving to a new 18 hole course at Lostock Park, and forming Bolton Golf Club (Lostock Park). The original club remained at Smithills and was renamed Old Links, Smithills (later Old Links (Bolton) Ltd and, in 1994, Bolton Old Links. In 1924 the Smithills course was extended to 18 holes.