Chorley Golf Club, Lancs.
Founded 1897. Originally a 9 hole course at Hall o’ th’ Hill. In the early 1900s the club moved to a nine hole course at Queens Road Chorley where it stayed until 1926. This course is now the site of the Parklands High School. The members were desperate to acquire an18 hole course and the opportunity arose to return to its original site, J A Steer the golf architect and professional at Blackpool South Shore laid out the new course at Hall o‘ th ‘hill.
The following report is from the Manchester Courier and Lancashire General Advertiser dated Monday 3rd June 1907 “New Course at Chorley – A new course was opened on the Astley Park Estate, Chorley, on Saturday afternoon. The links are most beautifully situated, being bordered on the north side by Astley Wood, and on clear days a magnificent view of West Lancashire, extending to the sea coast, is presented. The nine holes embrace a distance of 2,700 yards and there are several natural hazards. It is most conveniently placed, being within two minutes’ walk of the Town Hall. A clubhouse has been obtained quite close to the entrance at Queen’s Road. Already 255 members have been enrolled. A professional, J Brooks, late of the Arnside Golf Club, has been engaged. At the informal opening the captain, F W Brindle, and the professional, played against R C Greenwood and W Archer, the latter pair won by 2up”.
There were 32 entries for the first qualifying round in the competition for Mr L Holt’s prize which was played on Saturday 31st May 1913, result as follows; M Kirkwood (handicap 11) 1down; G H Omerod (7) 4down; N Holt (13) 4down; W T Sowerbutts (6) 5down; R W Butterfield (11) 5down; J B Bennett (14) 7down; H Chadwick (13) 8down; J W Murray (14) 8down; J W Ashton (22) 8down; W MacFarlane (1) 9down; H A Bleakledge (9) 11down; A B Hargreaves jnr (24) 11down; Jas Ashton (22) 12down.
The Google Map below pinpoints the location of Parklands High School, the site of the earlier course.
View United Kingdom in a larger map