Colne St Andrews Golf Club, Lancashire.
Founded in 1912 and listed as an Artisan club at this time. In 1913 the secretary was C Ford, 9 Dudley Street, Colne. There no entry fee, subs were 10/6. Visitors’ fees were 8d a day, Sunday play was not allowed.
In 1914 the professional was T Dillon, and membership 110. There was still no entry fee but subs had now increased to 21/-. A 9 hole course that was in a beautiful situation about 2 ½ miles from Colne station, with a car service from the station to within a ¼ mile of the course. Visitors’ fees were now 1/- a day, ladies 6d.
In 1922/3 the secretary was E Tiplady, 2 New Bath Street, Colne and the green keeper H Shone. Membership was now about 100. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 5/- a week, ladies 1/- and 4/-.
In 1924 the secretary was R R Brunton, 3 Regent Avenue, Colne and greenkeeper A Pecker (1925/6).
In 1927 the greenkeeper was M Bland. Weekly visitors’ fees had increased to 7/6. Sunday play after 1pm was allowed.
From 1928 to 1935 the professional and greenkeeper was J Knowles. The SSS was 67 and local hotels were the Crown, Swan and the Union.
The following members represented Colne St Andrews in the East Lancashire Golf Association Scratch Shield competition in June 1930; W Hargreaves, 89; F Cottam, 93, J Duerden, 91; F Preston, 87.
In the East Lancashire scratch competition played at Pleasington on Saturday 20th June 1931 the following players represented Colne St Andrews; C H Bulcock, 83; F Preston, 91; F Cotton, 98; G B Brown, 85.
In August 1931 T Brown beat J T Hague by one hole in the Captain’s Prize he would meet T G Hopkinson in the final. The two Captain’s, H Chadwick and Mrs J Duerden won competitions during the month. Mr Chadwick won the flag competition and Mrs Duerden beat Miss Hague in the final of the Emmett Bowl.
From1937 to 1948 the secretary was H Hartley, 18 Well Head (could be Well House), Winewall, Colne, telephone Cotton Tree 73. The greenkeeper was J Knowles. 9 holes with a SSS of 72. Membership in 1940 was 140. Visitors’ fees, Gents 2/6 a day (2/- in 1948), 7/6 a week. Ladies 1/- and 7/6. Sunday play allowed.
Colne St Andrews had disappeared by 1949. Listed as an Artisan Club in the early years, they eventually acquired their own course (above).