Royal Ascot Golf Club, Berkshire.
The club first appeared in 1887, founder member of the club was F J Patton, a local barrister. It was given Royal status by Queen Victoria in the same year.
There were originally two clubs and two nine-hole courses, the Royal Ascot Golf Club and the Ascot Ladies Golf Club. The clubs amalgamated in 1895 and J H Taylor designed a new 18-hole course. In the early 1900s there were several new clubs opening in the area and a number of members decided to leave the testing Ascot course and join one of the “attractive” new neighbours. Royal Ascot struggled on during the 1920s/30s and the land was eventually requisitioned for the war effort. The club and course re-appeared following WW2 and celebrated its centenary in 1987.
Result of the 1890 December medal; J Oswald, 88-8-80; C C Clarke, 104-22-82; E C Austen Leigh, 102-13-89.
Below is the result of a match played at Oxford against the Oxford University team on Saturday 26th October 1894. The course was heavy but Mr Lushington managed to go round in 78.
|Oxford University||Royal Ascot|
|R H Mitchell||0||F J Patton||1|
|R B R Mair||0||G W Rickets||0|
|A C M Croome||8||H Sawyer||0|
|G B Grundy||4||L B Keyser||0|
|F T Hope||0||F E Lidnell||6|
|P A Lushington||15||H C Clarke||0|
It was reported in January 1898 that Mr H Blackett went round the “new full-size” Royal Ascot course in 74 strokes. Mr F G Tait, the 1896 Amateur Champion scored 77.
It was reported in the Reading Mercury that the FIRST annual dinner of the Royal Ascot Golf Club was held on Tuesday evening 4th April 1899. Amongst those present; Rev B Kerr Pearce; Capt Coombes; the Hon. F Capel; Mr Sawyer, treasurer; Henley Clarke, secretary; J K Hichens; R Mitchell; P Crutchley; Dr Lacey; Messrs. Oliver, H Blackett, L Liddell, Coombes, C C Clarke, Nares, Sillen, H H Longman and C W Waight. It was stated that “An excellent dinner was provided”.
In the early 1900s there were several new clubs opening in the area and a number of members decided to leave the testing Ascot course and join one of the "attractive" new neighbours.
On Saturday 10th March 1900 the Oxford University team visited Royal Ascot, the visitors recording a convincing victory, result below.
|Royal Ascot||Oxford University|
|R H Mitchell||0||E C Lee||2|
|H Blackett||0||T M Hunter||1|
|G W Rickets||0||F H Mitchell||2|
|Captain Quinton||0||A Horne||7|
|E G North||0||C T Lawrence||1|
|S S Wollaston||0||J Bramston||6|
|R Creasy||0||H Beveridge||8|
|H H Longman||3||S Gillon||0|
The autumn meeting was held on Saturday 14th November 1903. There were two competitions, the best aggregate score, for a trophy presented by Sidney H Farrer, and the best 18 hole round. The scores for the first competition as follow; J B Hichens, 159; C M Wells, 162; P J de Paravacini, 164; J F E Bowring, 168; F J Patton, 170; C F Yeomans, 171 and P V Broke, 177. Result of the eighteen hole competition; C M Wells, 78; J B Hichens, 79; P J de Paravacini, 82; F J Patton, 84; J F E Bowring, 84; W O Sargeant, 84; S S Wollaston, 84; W Menzies, 84; C F Yeomans, 85 and Dblundell, 87. The club professional, J F Longhurst, was given permission by the committee to work at the Homburg Club for a few weeks during the year. Whilst he was in Germay he designed courses at Elm and Nauheim in Prussia and at Cologne and Horrem.
In 1909/10 the secretary was H S Ferguson, Englemere Wood Lodge, Ascot. The professional was J G Longhurst. Entrance fee £3/3s and subs £3/3s. Membership of 140. Amateur course record; R H Mitchell and H Blackett, 74. Bogey score, 78. Sunday play not allowed.
The autumn meeting was held on Saturday 4th October 1913. Prince Albert of Schleswig-Holdenstein was in great form and won the scratch prize with a score of 78. The medal round was won by S W Luard, 84-11-73 and the bogey competition was won by Commander H Bowring, 5up.
The Boys’ Championship was played on the Royal Ascot course in September 1921. In the final, played on Saturday the tenth, A D D Mathieson of Edinburgh Academy beat Guy H Lintott of Felstead by 4 and 3. Among those present were the Duke of Connaught, who presented the trophy to the winner, the Crown Princess of Sweden and Princess Helena.
Royal Ascot struggled on during the 1920s/30s, the land was eventually requisitioned for the war effort. The club and course re-appeared following WW2 and celebrated its centenary in 1987.
Due to the proposed redevelopment of the Ascot racecourse in 2000 most of the land occupied by the course would be lost. The club moved to the new site on Winkfield Road, this course opened in August 2005. It was formally opened by HRH Prince Andrew, Duke of York, in May 2006.
The former course can be seen on the Britain From Above link below.
The location of the former course is pinpointed on the Google Map below.