Hungerford Golf Club, Berkshire.
The club was founded 1903.
In 1906 the secretary was W Jacobs, The Capital & Counties Bank, Hungerford. An 18-hole course at this time, the record amateur score was held by E R Portal with a score of 109. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day which were obtainable from the secretary or Mr F W Church of the Three Swans Hotel. The station at Hungerford was 5 minutes away. Local hotels were the Three Swans and the Bear which was situated on the Bath main road, within 10 minutes of the course and 5 minutes from the railway station, close to the Kennet fishery.
In 1914 the secretary was F W Church. The course had now been reduced to 9 holes it had many natural hazards and was situated on Hungerford Downs ¼ mile from the town and about 400 feet above sea level. The club had a membership of 70. There was no entry fee the subs were £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were; 1/- a day, 2/6 a week and 7/6 a month.
The annual meeting was held on Friday 7th May 1915 with Major E R Portal in the chair. It was stated that since the war started many members had resigned and there was a deficit showing on the balance sheet. The opinion was expressed that, with a reduced income, the club would be unable to carry on and it was unanimously decided that play should be suspended for the duration of the war.
Hungerford Golf Club disappeared after WW1.