Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Edgware Golf Club, Greater London.

Founded in 1907 when the professional was E Burrows. 

An 18-hole course in Canons Park on undulating countryside which proved a good test of golf there were both artificial and natural hazards. All trees in line of play had been removed and new bunkers added in 1914. There was a good clubhouse near the main road. Stations at Edgware GNR and Stanmore L&NW were both about a 1 mile away. There was also a bus and tram service which passed the golf course.

 

Edgware Golf Club, London. The eighth green in 1907.

The eighth green in 1907.

 

Edgeware Golf Club, London. The clubhouse and green.

The impressive Edgware Clubhouse. Authors Collection.

 

Edgware Golf Club, London. The 1910 Ladies Open Meeting at Edgware.

From the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News June 4th 1910. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Edgware Golf Club, London. From the Illustrated Sporting Dramatic News March 1911.

From the Illustrated Sporting and Dramatic News March 25th 1911. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

In 1914 the secretary was Guy M Bennett and the professional was A F Kettley (1908 to 1920). There was a membership of over 360. Course records were, amateur P C Smith with a score of 73 and professional A F Kettley 66. Entry fees for gents were £5/5/0. There was no entry fee for ladies. Subs for all categories were £5/5/0. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, Weekends 2/6 a day. Sunday play was allowed without caddies.

 

Edgware Golf Club. A F Kettley marked clubhead.

 

Edgware Golf Club. A F Kettley marked golf club.

Above are images of a club bearing the name of A F Kettley, professional at the Edgware club.

 

Edgeware Golf Club, London. The clubhouse and course.

Clubhouse and green.

 

Edgware Golf Club, London. Article from The Tatler July 1920.

Article from the Tatler July 7th 1920. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

In 1922 the address given was Edgware Golf Club, Canons Park, telephone Edgeware 22. Telegrams to "Niiblick", Edgware. The secretary was Mrs R P Graham and the professional was George Doughty. There was a membership of 390 at this time. The course records were, amateur G G M Bennett with a score of 74 and professional G Doughty 68. Higher scores than in 1914 which suggests that there could have been  some course modifications. Visitors’ fees, on  introduction by a member were 2/6 a day with no introduction 5/-. At weekend 5/- a day with member, 10/- without. 10/- a week. Sunday play allowed with caddies.

 

Edgware Golf Club, London. View of the course.

View of the Edgware golf course. Authors Collection.

 

In December 1923 it was announced that Gilbert Laird (the Croucher) Jessop, the famous Gloucestershire cricketer, had been appointed secretary. He was to take up his duties on the 2nd January.

On Saturday 22nd October 1927 Mr Jessop and his wife were presented with a silver tea service by the members of the club in celebration of their silver wedding. The presentation was made by Mr Fred Wright, the captain of the club.

 

Edgware Golf Club, London. The Amateur Open Meeting 1929.

 

Edgware Golf Club, London. The Amateur Open Meeting 1929.

Amateur Open Meeting June 1929.

 

In the late 1920s and throughout the 1930s the secretary was G L Jessop and the professional George Doughty.

 

Edgware Golf Club, London. Gilbert Laird Jessop.

Gilbert Laird Jessop.

 

Gilbert Jessop continued at the club as secretary until 1936 when the land was sold and used for housing development. The members were to compete for the club trophies on September 12th with the winners being allowed to keep them.

The clubhouse is marked in the bottom right corner on The Britain From Above image below:

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw034616

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw035057?search=golf&ref=303

 

Edgeware Golf Club, London. Location of the golf course in the 1930s.

Edgware Golf Club had disappeared by 1960.