Barossa Golf Club, Camberley, Surrey
Founded 1893. The professional during 1912 and 1913 was C Mothersele. From 1914 and throughout the clubs existence to its last year in 1948 the secretary was Colonel J S Talbot, Camberley and the professional C Baker. A 9 hole course that was situated in the middle of lovely countryside surrounded by Pine woods and gorse clad commons. The course was inclined to be wet during heavy rain but was in beautiful condition during the summer. There was a membership of 150. The entry fee was £1/11/6 and the subs £1/11/6. A Family ticket could be obtained for £3/3/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day, 5/- a week, 12/- a month. Ladies 1/-, 3/- 10/- respectively. Sunday play with caddies was allowed. Railway stations at Camberley ¼ mile and Blackwater 1 ½ miles away.
A charity golf match was played over the Barossa course on Thursday May 12th 1912. The competitors were; Harry Vardon (South Herts) the Open Champion, James Sherlock (Stoke Poges), C E Forrest (East Berks) and D Ayton (Swinley Forest).
A charge of one shilling was charged for entry with all proceeds going to the Frimley District Cottage Hospital and the Camberley, Yorktown, and Frimley Nursing Association.
In the morning Vardon and Sherlock played an 18-hole stroke play competition over the nine-hole course. Scores as follows; Vardon, Out – 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,3 = 35; Home – 3,5,4,4,3,5,5,5,3 = 37 – Total - 72. Sherlock, Out – 4,4,3,6,5,5,4,4,3 = 38; Home – 4,4,4,4,3,5,4,5,3 = 36 – Total - 74.
A 4BBB match was played in the afternoon when Vardon was partnered by Forest and Sherlock by Ayston. Sherlock and Ayton, Out – 4,4,3,4,3,4,3,3,4 = 32; Home – 4,4,3,4,3,4,4,4,3 = 33 – Total - 65. Vardon and Forest, Out – 4,4,3,5,3,4,4,4,3 = 34; Home – 3,4,3,4,3,4,4,4,3 = 32 – Total - 66.