Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Bleakdown Golf Club, Byfleet, Surrey.

Professional from 1905 to 1907 was Cuthbert S Butchart (who designed the course), and from 1907 until 1913 F H Frostick. 

In Mach 1907 it was reported that the new Bleakdown course at Byfleet had recently opened. A reputable golfer stated that “it is the finest inland course he had ever played on.”

 

Bleakdown Golf Club, Byfleet, Surrey. The clubhouse and course.

Pre WW1 postcard of Bleakdown clubhouse and course. Image courtesy of Frank Accleton.

 

On August 28th 1909 F H Frostick broke the record of the Bleakdown Golf Club course with a score of 69. 

 

Bleakdown Golf Club, Byfleet, Surrey. Illustrated Sporting & Dramatic News October 1910.

From The Illustrated Sporting & Dramatic News Saturday October 1st 1910. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Bleakdown Golf Club, Byfleet, Surrey. The Triumvirate at Bleakdown in July 1910.

From The London Daily News July 25th 1910. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

In 1914 the secretary was F M Ashley and the professional was C Tooley, who took over in 1913 and remained until 1917. An 18-hole course laid out on undulating ground with sandy soil which meant that it was always dry even in very wet weather. The hazards were numerous and natural. The length of the course was over 6,000 yards. There was a membership of 350. Entry fees for gents were £10/10/0. There was no entry fee for ladies. The Subs were gents £5/5/0 and  ladies £4/4/0, five day members paid £3/3/0. Visitors’ fees were 2/6 a day, 2/6 at weekends, on introduction only. No Lady visitors were allowed on Sundays. Sunday play was allowed with caddies. The Station at Byfleet was a 5 minute walk away.

Patriotism before golf. The course was turned over to agriculture during WW1.

 

Bleakdown Golf Club, Byfleet, Surrey. The course was used for growing cops in WW1.

From The Sketch February 20th 1918. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

The clubs last appearance was in 1922 when the secretary was Montague B C Church, Tattenhall, Byfleet, telephone 162. The professional was J Boylett, who had come to the club in 1920. Membership was now 125 gents and 110 ladies. Visitors’ fees were 2/6 a day.

Became West Byfleet in 1922.