Bletchingley Golf Club, Surrey.
The club was founded 1901.
In 1914 the secretary was J Keble Guy, Barmoor, Bletchigley. A 9 hole course with a membership of 100. Entry fees for gents were £3/3/0 and ladies £2/2/0 subs were £3/3/0 and £2/2/0 respectively. Visitors’ fees were, 1/- a round, 2/- a day, 5/- a week, 15/- a month and £2/2/0 for six months. Sunday play was allowed without caddies after 1pm.
During the 1920s and early 1930s the secretary was M T Maw, The Gatehouse, Nutfield, Surrey and the greenkeeper Luke Payne. Membership of 100. Visitors’ fees were 2/6 a day, 5/- on Sunday, 10/- a week and £1 a month.
Below is the result of a match played at Bletchingley against Warlingham Golf Club (now defunct) on Saturday 16th May 1931.
|S D Greig||0||R Parry (5&3)||1|
|D O Light (4&3)||1||A Meredith||0|
|W R Birchall (8&7)||1||R T Bowly||0|
|C A Curnall (6&5)||1||F Harrison||0|
|F Roberts||0||C H T Cole (5&3)||1|
|E C Tyndale (5&4)||1||H Andrews||0|
|F E Barnard (6&5)||1||E W Lighton||0|
|S B Mitchell (4&2)||1||F H A Bell||0|
|D O Light & W R Birchall (4&3)||1||R Parry & F H A Bell||0|
|C A Curnall & E C Tyndale||0||A Meredith & C H T Cole (6&4)||1|
|F Roberts & F E Barnard (2up)||1||R T Bowly & E W Lighton||0|
|V T Ruck & S B Mitchell||0||F Harrison & H Andrews (2up)||1|
1935 the secretary was D O Light, “Holmbury” Peter Avenue, Oxted the professional was F Mayell and the greenkeeper J Worsfold. 9 holes with a SSS of 68 and a membership of 165. The station at Redhill was 2 miles away with a good bus service to the course. Local hotel was the White Hart.
In 1940 and 1947 little had changed. Membership had reduced to 110 and visitors’ fees were now 1/6 a day, 2/6 on Saturday, 3/6 on Sunday and Bank Holidays, 10/- a week and £1 a month.
Bletchingley Golf Club had disappeared by 1951. The current Bletchingley was Founded in 1993.