Chertsey Golf Club, Surrey.
Chertsey Golf Club was founded in 1903.
The initial 18-hole course was about 5,700 yards in length with a bogey score of 80. Laid out on good soil with artificial and natural hazards, designed by Jack White the 1904 Open Champion. The clubhouse situated overlooked the Thames in a unique position. Stations at Chertsey 1 mile and Staines 2 miles. In later years there was a bus service from Shepperton and Staines.
In 1906 the secretary was Dr P T Head, Laleham on Thames. The professional was James O’Brien (1903 - 1908). Course records were, professional J H Taylor with a score of 69 and amateur J N Byron 78. Visitors’ fees were 2/6 a day, 7/6 a week and 10/- a month.
The professional from 1908 to 1912 was W H Horne.
In 1914 the secretary was A B Paine, The Crossway, Walton-on-Thames and the professional was Frank Coltart (1913 -1921). There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were £5/5/0 and ladies £3/3/0. For members living outside a 15 mile radius gents paid £3/3/0 and ladies £2/2/0. Sunday play was allowed with caddies.
It was reported in the Leeds Mercury in July 1922 that Dr Mackenzie, the well known golf architect from Leeds "had been reconstructing the old course at Chertsey. Dr Mackenzie is a genius at this sort of thing."
In 1923 the secretary was H J Oakley, Cambridge Cottage, Laleham-on-Thames. Telephone number 188.
The professional was Ernest Hooker (1922 - 1925). Membership was now 300. Course records were, amateur C D Harris with a score of 71 and professional F Coltart 66. Visitors’ fees were 2/6 a day, bank holidays and weekends 5/- a day and £1/10/0 a month Ladies paid £1 a month.
From 1925 to 1928 the professional was J Schofield.
In 1930 the secretary was P G Hudgell, May Cottage, Laleham-on-Thames the professional from 1928 was F Golds and the greenkeeper W Slade. Course records, amateur S H Fry 72, professional A Schofield 68.
In 1935 the secretary was Capt E I M Barrett, professional F Golds and the greenkeeper A Dash. Visitors fees were now 2/6 a round.
Chertsey Golf Club disappeared shortly after the above date.
The Chertsey Golf Course can be seen on the Britain From Above (1934) link below.
Laleham Golf Club took over the course and came into being in 1938.
Sadly, Laleham Golf Club closed its doors in March 2017 (update to follow.)