Claygate Golf Club, Surrey.
The club was founded in 1895.
The nine-hole course was laid out on Claygate Common.
Result of a bogey competition played in June 1902; C Pattison, 2up; C Sillem and W Davies, 2down; S Kearns, 3down; H Chalcraft, 4down; L Crawford, 6down; Rev A Blackburn, 7down.
In 1905/6 the secretary was C M Usher, The Elms, Claygate, Surrey and the professional W Scott (1896 to 1912). Visitors’ fees, on introduction were, 1/- a day, weekends and Bank Holidays 2/6 a day, 5/- a week and 15/- a month.
Also listed in 1905 was the Claygate Ladies' Golf Club; secretary, Mrs G Bird, The Orchard, Esher; captain, Miss Maud Sillem.
In 1914 the secretary was John M Forbes, Blair Lodge, Esher. The professional from 1912 to 1915 was J Munday. A 9-hole course with a club membership of 120 gents and 60 ladies. Entry fees for gents £2/2/0 and ladies £1/1/0. Subs were gents £2/2/0 and ladies £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a round, 2/6 at weekend and bank holiday. Sunday play was allowed without caddies after 1pm. The station at Claygate L&SWR was ¾ mile away.
Claygate Golf Club disappeared after WW1.
Claygate Common is pinpointed on the Google Map below.