Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Stanwell Place Golf and Country House Club, Staines, Surrey.

The club was founded in 1910.

It was reported in February 1910 that C S Butchart, formerly of West Hill Golf Club, Brockwood, Surrey, had been appointed professional at Stanwell Place. Butchart hailed from Carnoustie and was widely known as a clubmaker.  

On Saturday 27th August 1910 an exhibition match took place between C Johns of the Manor Club, Ashford, and E Kettley, the local professional. Fine weather greeted the players and crowd for  the morning round. Johns scored 78 and Ketley,who struggled with his approach play, 82. In the afternoon round Johns was in great form and was never in any trouble, he completed the round with a splendid score of 69. Kettley, on the other hand was not so steady. Details of the afternoon round as follows.

C Johns; Out - 4,4,4,3,4,3,4,4,3 = 33; Home - 4,4,5,3,4,3,3,4,6 = 36 - Total 69.

E Kettley; Out - 4,5,5,4,4,3,4,5,4 = 38; Home - 3,5,6,4,3,5,5,6,4 = 41 - Total 79.

The "new" course was formally opened on Saturday 25th March 1911 with a match between Tom Ball (*Bramshot) and George Duncan (*Hanger Hill). The morning round was abandoned after seven holes due to a heavy snow shower. The weather improved in the afternoon and the eighteen-hole match was completed, scores as follows.

George Duncan; Out - 3,7,5,4,4,3,5,4,3 = 38; Home - 4,3,4,4,3,5,3,6,3 = 35 - Total 73

Tom Ball; Out - 4,6,4,4,5,3,6,4,3 = 39; Home- 5,3,3,4,4,4,4,5,3 = 34 - Total 74.

*Both Bramshot and Hanger Hill are now defunct - the history of both clubs appear on the website.  

 

Stanwell Place Golf Club, Staines. Advert for golf match.

Advert for the Gerorge Duncan and Tom Ball match.

 

In April 1911 a 72 hole match was played at Stanwell between G H Paine, the Stanwell Place Steward, and E Small the Clacton-on-Sea Steward. Paine scored 89 in the first round, Small 91. In the afternoon Paine went round in 83 against 92.

In 1913/4 there was a club manager who was available at the clubhouse.  An 18-hole course on gravel soil. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were £5/5/0 and ladies £3/3/0. Sunday play was allowed without caddies. There were stations at Ashford 1 ¾ miles and Staines 2 ½ miles away.

In August 1914 Sir Alexander and Lady Gibbons offered Stanwell House to the military authorities for use as either a hospital or convalescent home.  

Stanwell Place Golf Club did not appear after WW1.

The Google Map below shows the area around Stanwell Place, site of the former golf course.