Birling Manor Golf Club, Birling Gap, Eastbourne.
The club was founded in 1894.
In the early years the course was open seven days a week, which bought much displeasure to the local clergy of Eastbourne.
In 1914 the secretary was F E Cracknell, Birling Gap Hotel. The professional was Arthur Billett. A 9 hole course. There was no entry fee, subs were 10/6. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day. Sunday play was allowed. The station at Eastbourne was 4 ½ miles away.
In 1922 the secretary was Miss Binney, The Bungalow, Birling Gap, Eastbourne.
From 1940 to the clubs closure in the early 1950s the secretary was R G Hall, Manor Office, Eastbourne, telephone 180 and the greenkeeper W Chatfield. There was a membership of 75. A private course visitors’ fees from April to September were 2/- a day, October to March 1/6 a day. The station at Eastbourne was 5 miles away. Local hotels were the Imperial, Queen’s, Grand, Cavendish and the Sussex.