Boscastle Golf Club, Cornwall.
The links at Boscastle were originally established in 1907, but during 1910 and again in the Winter of 1911, they were considerably altered and improved. The course was situated about a quarter of a mile north of Boscastle and covered about forty acres of land. While being close to, it was some 400ft above sea level on the cliff top. It ensured a breeze on the most sultry summer day and at the same time gave the golfer a magnificent coast view of about 40 miles on a clear day. It was a nine hole course with a total length of 2596 yard. For hazards the course had to depend to a large extent on nature, there were however, a number of bunkers of different varieties to trap the unwary.
The 1st hole was 220yds in length a drive and a mashie shot, a sand bunker and a bank had to be negotiated.
The 2nd . The longest on the course being 475yds in length. Two banks acted as hazards and the Bude Road trapped a sliced ball.
The 3rd was 178yds long and care was needed not to overdrive the green which was situated on the slope of a hill.
The 4th was probably the most sporting on the course and it was necessary to drive across an abyss which at this point intersected the links a ball failing to reach the opposite side would fall down on the rocks some 300ft below. The hole was 410yds long.
The 5th hole was 310yds in length and depended on rough stubble for a hazard.
The 6th hole was played over undulating ground and was 320 yds long.
The 7th hole. 168 yds in length was not such an easy shot as it appeared, pot bunkers guarded the green and an over hit shot could go out of bounds.
The 8th hole was very sporting and required accurate play as the fairway ran along the ridge of a hill and if the ball was either pulled or sliced it rolled onto a cart track on one side or rough ground on the other. The distance was 345 yds.
The 9th hole was played over sloping ground and two sand bunkers acted as hazards, the length was 170yds.
From 1908 until 1909, the professional was Arthur Cross. In 1914 the secretary was A R Ward, St Meachard, Boscastle. The professional was R Webber, who had taken over the post in 1909, remaining until the club’s demise in 1924. The 9 hole course had by this time become very popular with visitors. The club had a membership of 74. There was no entry fee. Subs were £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, 7/6 a week, 15/- a month. Sunday play was not allowed and no refreshments were available. The station at Camelford was 5miles then by bus.
In the clubs last year in 1924 the secretary was still Archibald R Ward. Course Records were amateur 43 (no name available) and professional R Webber 39. Club membership was 85. Visitors’ fees for August & September were 2/- a day, 7/6 a week, 15/- a month. October to July 1/6, 5/- and 10/6 respectively.