Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Crafthole Golf Club, Cornwall.

The new course of the Crafthole Golf Club was opened on Friday 19th July 1907 by Lady Beatrice Pole Carew, who drove the first ball. The course, laid out on the Antony Estate, was the property of General Sir Reginald Pole Carew, who had been responsible for the formation of the club.

Willie Fernie of Troon took on the work of laying out the course which began in 1905. The undulating course measured 2,466 yards out and 2,318 yards home. The difference in altitude between the first tee and the sixth green was nearly 300 feet. The 2nd, 3rd, and 10th were all good two shot holes. There were several short holes and drive and pitching holes, the longest was the 17th which measured 450 yards.

The ex-Open Champions J H Taylor (Mid Surrey) and Harry Vardon (South Herts) played an exhibition match to celebrate the opening of the course. Vardon scored 72 and Taylor 75.

 

Crafthole Golf Club, Cornwall. A Herd and E Ray playing at Crafthole in July 1910.

From The London Daily News July 25th 1910. Image © Illustrated London News Group. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

The professional in 1911/12 was A W McDonald.

 

Crafthole Golf Club, Cornwall. On the golf links.

Above is a pre-WW1 postcard of the Crafthole Golf Links. Authors Collection.

 

Eventually became Whitsand Bay GC.