Tintagel Golf Club, Cornwall.
Founded 1893. The opening of the course was inaugurated on Thursday 29th August 1895 by a competition for a handicap sweepstake. The competition included visitors to Tintagel as well as resident members of the club, and they with many of their friends spent a most enjoyable day on the delightful cliffs and downs where the links were situated. The winners; Mr Taylor,112 and Colonel Hawker, 118.
In 1906/7 the secretary was John Brown, The Quarries, Tintagel and the professional Harry Dickens. A 9 hole course the amateur course record holder was William Taylor with a score of 41. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day, 5/- a week and 15/- a month. Local hotel was the Wharncliffe which was within a 15 minute walk of the golf links and King Arthur’s Castle.
In 1908 the secretary was still John Brown. The professional was Langford Doidge. Course records; amateur, J Brown 60, professional, W Taylor 68.
In 1911/12 the professional was William Jones; Course records, amateur, J Brown 41, professional, W Taylor 43.
In 1914 the secretary was B Hutchings and the professional L Doridge or Dodge (1908 to 1920). A 9 hole course with natural bunkers on the coast of North Cornwall near Tintagel Castle with fine views. The club had a membership of 20. Entry fees were £1/1/0 and the subs £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a day, 5/- a week, during July, August and September 7/6 a week and 15/- a month. Sunday play was not allowed. The station at Camel ford (SWR) was now 3 ½ miles away.
Tintagel Golf Club disappeared after WW1.