Ashburton Golf Club, Devon.
On Wednesday 16th February 1910 Mr J T Barker presided at a meeting in the Market Hall to discuss and consider the proposed golf club for Ashburton. The chairman stated that a committee had already been appointed to try and find a suitable location for the course and as a result a large portion of land on Welstor Common had been obtained. It had been generously offered by Mr Parnell Tucker at a nominal rent, he was also willing to erect a clubhouse which could also be rented. The area had been inspected by several experts and a professional all of them were strongly in favour of the location. The cost of laying out the course would be £150, half of the sum had already been promised. It was agreed that the course would be a valuable attraction to the area. A letter was read from the Hon. R Dawson, C.C, warmly approving the proposal, Mr C E Robinson also gave his backing to the scheme as did Dr Fitzpatrick. On the motion of Mr F H Rogers, seconded by Mr R B Berry, and supported by Mr J Mortimer B.A, and Mr J P Tucker, it was resolved that a club should be formed and be called the Ashburton Golf Club. Mr R W Frith was appointed secretary.
The professional from 1910 to 1912 was A J H Hobley.
In 1914 the secretary was L Bradell, Highgrove, Ashburton, and the professional L Matthews. A 9 hole course on gravel and peat soil. The entry fee was £1/1/0 and subs £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a round, 1/6 a day, 5/- a week and 10/6 a month. Sunday play was allowed without caddies. It was stated that there were no restrictions for ladies. The G.W.R station at Ashburton was 2 ½ miles away.
The club disappeared in the mid 1920s when the secretary was T Arnold, Ashburton,
The Google Map below pinpoints Welstor Common.
View United Kingdom in a larger map