Dorchester & County Golf Club, Dorset.
In 1895 the Dorchester Golf Club was at Broadway Farm on a course known as the Lorton Links. Play here was short lived and land was acquired from Lord Portalington for a new course on Came Down. Dorchester Golf Club came into existence in 1896 and was originally a nine hole course of 3,620yds with a small pavilion style clubhouse. In 1904 it was decided to extend the course to 18 holes and Weymouth Council invited J H Taylor to design the extended course. A new clubhouse was built and a railway halt was provided by the GWR one mile from the course. This course was opened as the Wymouth, Dorchester and County Golf Club in May 1906. The professional at this time was E A Pursey who continued until 1910.
The famous Whitcombe family became an important part of the development of the WD&C Golf Club with Ernest becoming the professional in 1910. His mother took on the role of stewardess and was accompanied by her two other sons Charles and Reg.
In 1913 the secretary was J Talbot, Statue House, Weymouth. As well as Ernest Whitcombe there was another professional mentioned at this time by the name of P F Beets. Entry fees were, gents £1/1/0 and ladies 10/6. Subs for gents were £2/2/0 and ladies £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were 1/6 a round, ladies 1/-.
Towards the end of its days in 1924 the secretary at Weymouth Dorchester and County Golf Club was Walter Little the professional was E Whitcombe (1910 to 1925) and the greenkeeper W J Strange. 18 holes with a membership of 330. Course records were, amateur, Major Grundy 73, professional, E Whitcombe 68. Visitors’ fees were 3/6 a day, ladies 3/-, 15/- a week and 30/- a month. Sunday play was allowed with caddies. There were special terms for naval officers stationed at Portland and for army officers at Dorchester and Bovington. Stations at Came Halt 1 mile, Dorchester 2 miles and Weymouth 5 miles.
In 1923/4 the Weymouth Dorchester and County Golf Club disappeared and Came Down Golf Club appears.