Brockenhurst & District Golf Club, Hants.
Founded 1890/1908? to be confirmed.
The early Bournemouth Golf Club started playing golf on Balmer Lawn in the early 1890s (see separate entry on the website for Bournemouth Golf Club.
It's possible that the Brockenhurst club shared this location at some time in the 1890s and continued to play on the course up until WW1. Having said this it's proving difficult to find any firm evidence of a Brockenhurst & District Golf Club in the 1890s and early 1900s.
A rather unflattering description of the Brockenhurst golf course from the Morning Post in January1899; “To the east of Bournemouth the links of the Brockenhurst club are situated; rather a flat and uninteresting course this, and not well provided with hazards, either artificial or natural.”
The above report raises an interesting question; was the Bournemouth Golf Club still playing on the course at this time; or does this report refer to the Brockenhurst Golf Club?
In 1914 the secretary at Brockenhurst & District Golf Club was Colonel R Lane, and the professional A Moody. A 15-hole course situated in the New Forest with hazards of roads, heather, bracken and bunkers. The greens and tees were in good condition and a comfortable clubhouse was available. There was a membership of 72. The entry fee was £1/1/0 and the subs £2/2/0. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day, weekend 2/6 a day, 7/6 a week, £1 a month, £2 for three months. One round of 18 holes was 1/6. There were special terms for bank holidays. Sunday play was allowed with caddies. The railway station was ¾ mile away.
If anyone has any further information on Brockenhurst & District Golf Club please "Contact Us" through the website Home Page.
Brockenhurst & District Golf Club did not appear after WW1.