Chale Golf Club, Isle of Wight.
Founded in 1905. Henry Way of Pyle, Chale was the secretary from the outset until the mid 1930s and the professional throughout most of the clubs life was Fred Mew. A 9 hole sporting course situated on St Catherines Hill with fine views. The course on natural down land was playable all year. There were Stations at Whitwell 3 miles Ventnor 6 miles away. There was a bus service which passed the course. Local hotel was the Clarendon.
From 1914 to the mid 1930s membership numbers varied between 40 and 50. No entry fee was payable in 1914 and the subs were £1/1/0. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day (1/- in 1905) and 5/- a week. Sunday Play was not allowed.
From 1935 to the last year in 1947 the secretary was G F Mew, Sunnyside, Blackgang, Chale. Visitors’ fees were 2/-a round and 10/- a week. Sunday play permitted.