Bruton Golf Club, Somerset.
Founded 1896 on the downs at Creech Hill by the Rev C Leir. A 9 hole course on down turf, play was not possible all year round. The principal hazards were gorse and quarries.
In 1914 the secretary was P W Vasey, Kings School. Club membership of 30. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were £1/1/0 and ladies10/6. Visitors’ fees, on introduction, were 1/- a day, 2/6 a week and 5/- a month. There was no play during summer months. There were stations at Great Western Railway 1 ½ mile away, Cole Somerset & Dorset Joint Railway 3 miles away.
In 1923 the secretary was A V Lemon, Coombe Street, Bruton. The greenkeeper was S Compton. Amateur course record held by Captain P W Vasey with a score of 37.
From 1930 to the last appearance in the late 1940s the secretary was still A V Lemon and the greenkeeper was J Abbott.