Dulverton Golf Club, Somerset.
In June 1893 the Western Times reported that “Some capital links had been laid down in the Carnarvon Arms meadows.”
It was reported in the Western Times in March 1894 that “It had been decided to form a Golf Club at Dulverton, ground adjoining the Carnarvon Arms had already been selected.”
The following is an extract from a report that appeared in the Exeter & Plymouth Gazette on Monday 18th March 1894. “A meeting of those interested in golf was held at the Carnarvon Arms Hotel, under the presidency of Dr Sydenham. A course had been previously surveyed and pronounced favourably on by a professional golfer from Westward Ho! It was unanimously decided that a club be formed. A committee was elected to carry the resolution into affect and Mr R Sowton Barrow consented to act as secretary. It is expected that the ground will be ready for play in a week’s time. The nine-hole course adjoins Dulverton Station.”
By April 1894 the club had a membership of 40.
The original club was also called Dulverton & Brushford and was opened in 1894. This 9-hole course was situated close to the railway station. It moved in about 1900 to a course that was laid out on the West bank of the River Barle near to Dulverton.
The club was still in existence in May 1903 when it was reported that; Lieut-Col Marwood Tucker commanding the third battalion V.B.D.R, inspected C Company, Bampton, with the Dulverton detachment, on the golf links near Dulverton Station.
Dulverton Golf Club was founded in 1905/6 when the secretary was Charles W Nelder, Carnarvon Arms, Dulverton. Visitors’ fees were; 1/- a day and 2/6 a week. The club had a connection with the Carnarvon Arms Hotel. Dulverton railway station adjoined the course. In May 1906 Mr W Gibbons was appointed “green-keeper and instructor” to the Dulverton Golf Club.
Professional from 1908 to 1911 was P Maunder and from 1911 to 1913 F Reynolds.
The annual meeting was held at the Carnarvon Arms Hotel in February 1912, Mr R Sowton Barrow presided. It was decided to employ a permanent groundsman, and that subscriptions should be £2/2/0 for gents and £1/1/0 for ladies, weekly tickets 7/6, and daily green fees 2d. It was stated that there was now a good prospect of a much improved course.
In 1914 the secretary was W H Marsh, Exevale House, Exebridge, near Taunton. The club had a membership of 25. There was no entry fee. Subs were £2/2/0. Visitors’ fees were; 2/- a day, 5/- a week and 10/6 a month. Sunday play was allowed without caddies.
The club’s final appearance was in 1922 when the secretary was the Reverend H J Green, The Vicarage, Dulverton. The green-keeper was G Summers. Membership had increased slightly to 30. Course records were; amateur 42 and professional 37, no names found. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day and 7/6 a week.