East Somerset Golf Club, Yarlington.
Founded 1913 when the club was known as Wincanton and East Somerset Golf Club. The secretary was W Wise, Cheriton House, Temple Combe. The professional was A J Cann (1913- 1917). Membership stood at 97. The entry fee was £1/1/0 and subs were £1/1/0. Visitors on introduction by a member had one day free then paid 2/- a day and 7/6 a week. Sunday play was allowed without caddies after 1pm.
Results from the East Somerset Golf Club Spring Meeting played in April 1914:-
Wednesday 15th April – Mrs Coulsons Challenge Cup (members only); Mrs O Walker and Miss Thompson tied on 89nett (Mrs Walker won the play off.); Miss Senior, 91; Mrs Gatehouse, 92; Miss Wise, 109. Club Prize (open) – Miss Moss, 83nett; Mrs Walker and Miss Thompson, 89nett; Miss Senior, 91; Mrs Gatehouse, 92; Hon. Mrs O Scott, 95; Mrs Foy, 101; Miss Wise, 109. Best gross score was Miss Moss, 95. Prize for lady members of the club (handicap competition). Prize presented by Hon. Mrs A Hamilton Russell; Mrs Liebert, 63; Mrs Walker, 70; Miss Wise, 74; Miss Gatehouse, 77; Miss Thompson, 81; Mrs Jackson, 86.
Thursday 16th April – Yarlington Challenge Cup, presented by Mr H G Wright (members only); Mr C H Paulet, 93-10-83; H J Senior, 110-24-86; C Gatehouse, 92-4-88; T E Coulson, 114-25-89; A E Blake, 111-20-91; F A C Liebert, 112-19-93; B L Paget, 127-28-99; C Kingsley-Jupp, 115-13-102.
Friday 17th April – Mixed foursome bogey competition; C Gatehouse & Mrs Liebert (17), 1down; Captain E G Hardy & Miss Moss (8), 6down; Rev T G Gatehouse & Mrs Gatehouse (15), 7down; Captain Cunningham & Mrs Cunningham (7), 9down; T E Coulson & Mrs Dauntesey (14), 10down. There were 10 no returns.
In the early 1920s the address was given as East Somerset Golf Club, Yarlington. In 1922 the secretary was W D O Harman, Sparkford Hall, Sparkford, Somerset. The professional and greenkeeper was A H Billet. The club had a membership of 95.
Below is the result of a match played against Shaftesbury Golf Club (now defunct) on Saturday 29th April 1922.
|P D A Courtenay (4&3)||1||Major Nixon||0|
|Lieut-Colonel Glyn Cuninghame (2&1)||1||General R M Poore||0|
|C E Gatehouse (6&4)||1||Rev King||0|
|Capt Phipps-Hornby||0||Major Denison Pender (1up)||1|
|W C Fowler (8&6)||1||Rev C Donne||0|
|Colonel Hardy (half)||0||Major Hile (half)||0|
|W Mackie (7&5)||1||Mr Hastings||0|
|Courtenay & Gatehouse||0||Nixon & Poore (2&1)||1|
|Cuninghame & Hardy||0||Rev Reece & Pender (1up)||1|
|Hardy & Dr Price (half)||0||Hile & Hastings (half)||0|
|Fowler & Mackie||1||Donne & King||0|
In 1923 Lieutenant Colonel J A Legge, “The Dogs”, Wincanton took over as secretary for a couple of years.
In 1925 D R Price of Castle Cary became secretary and held the post until the mid 1930s. The professional in 1925 was H Ward who continued until the mid 1930s.
Below is the result of a match played at Ashley Wood Golf Club on Saturday 6th August 1932.
|Ashley Wood||East Somerset|
|B Hunt (2&1)||1||J Hobday||0|
|F Walters||0||E R Bollam (4&3)||1|
|W J Pride (2&1)||1||K G Symons||0|
|L Cherry||0||W Vicarage (3&2)||1|
|F D Woodhouse (7&6)||1||Rev B Phellps||0|
|R Thornber||0||J C Forbes (1up)||1|
|J Smith-Marriott||0||Colonel E G Hardy (3&1)||1|
|G Lister (4&2)||1||Rev W M Annesley||0|
|C Maggs (6&5)||1||Rev A B Burnley||0|
|J F Pratt (7&6)||1||Lt-Comm J A Legge||0|
|W A Foot (2&1)||1||R W Mackie||0|
|A Marsh (3&2)||1||C A Hazell||0|
Below is the result of a mixed foursome match played at Yarlington against Ashley Wood on Sunday May 26th1938
|East Somerset||Ashley Wood|
|Dr Price & Miss Norman||0||T L Hughes & Mrs Cherry||1|
|R W Mackie & Mrs Price||0||W J Price & Miss Lempard||1|
|Dr Barlow & Mrs Barlow||0||R Gray & Mrs Gray||1|
|G M Robertson & Mrs Robertson||0||C E Garrett & Mrs Garrett||1|
|Dr Coulson & Mrs Coulson (Half)||0||W A Foot & Mrs Hughes (Half)||0|
|A Knight & Mrs Mackie||0||L Cherry & Mrs Tripp||1|
|Mr & Mrs Cake||0||D T Watkins & Mrs Watkins||1|
|Commander Legge & Miss Ellerton||1||F J E Pratt & Mrs Hawkes||0|
In about 1938 Lieutenant Colonel Legge again took on the job of secretary a position he would hold until the early 1950s. Throughout this period the professional and greenkeeper was H (G) Day. The 9 hole course had a SSS of 70 and a membership of 115. The course record of 70 was jointly held by amateurs P D E Courtney and C E Gatehouse and professional A Billet. Visitors’ fees 2/6 a day, 10/- a week, 25/- a month. Sunday play was allowed. The listed station was now at Temple Combe 4 miles away.
Local hotels were Holbrook House, Bear and Greyhound.
From 1951 to the clubs closure the secretary was H E Ainsworth, Westminster Bank Ltd, Wincanton and the professional and greenkeeper G (H) Day. The 9 holes had a SSS 70 and Par 72.
Club membership throughout this period was 70. Visitors’ fees 3/6 a day, 15/- a week, 25/- a month.