Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Aughnacloy Golf Club, Tyrone.

Founded in 1888 the club disappeared in the early 1900s.

The original 18-hole course was laid out in the grounds of Mr. James Pringle, of Anna House, the clubs first President. The Captain was Mr. W. H. Mann, who was also a member Royal Portrush Golf Club.

The Aughnacloy Challenge Trophy was played in early January 1890 between Mr D J Stewart who won with a net score of 99, he beat  Mr W H Mann net 119.

At the AGM in January 1890 Mr James Pringle JP presided, and Mr D J Stewart the secretary produced the annual report from the committee. The winners of the monthly handicaps were announced as follows; January, Mr James Pringle; February, Mr A Douglas Brooke; March, Mr H Pringle; April, Mr P R Magill; May, Mr T J Abraham; June, Mr H S Sloan; July, Dr Abraham; September, Mr D J Stewart; November, Rev J McEndoo; December, Mr J D Meharg. The following office bearers were elected for the year; President, Mr Jas Pringle; vice-presidents, Mr H De L Montgomery DL, Mr Upton Mowbray JP and Mr W H Mann; captain, Mr Douglas Brooke JP; treasurer, Mr J D Meharg; secretary, Mr D J Stewart; committee, R J Betty JP, S R Magill, T J Abraham, E V Hamilton, S R Brown and R P Mowbray.

Result of the Aughnacloy Golf Club meeting held in January 1890. The first prize of £2 was won by Mr Albert Betty, second prize a silver Maltese Cross presented by Gibson & Company, Belfast was won by Mr Stewart, the third prize, a silver golf ball was won by Mr R J Browne.

Full result.

Player

Gross

H’cap

Net

Mr A Betty

111

25

86

Mr D J Stewart

108

18

90

Mr R J Browne

125

30

95

Mr G M Hudson

121

25

96

Mr S R Magill

126

30

96

Mr G Leslie

117

18

99

Mr James Pringle

118

18

100

Mr H S Sloan

126

25

101

Mr J D Meharg

122

18

104

Dr Abraham

146

40

106

Mr T J Abraham

132

25

107

Mr W H Mann

117

10

107

Mr H Pringle

192

40

152

The current Aughnacloy club was founded in 1995.