Cuan Golf Club, Strangford, County Down.
First appeared in the early 1920s when the secretary was J W MacMurray, Stranford, County Down. The greenkeeper was J Dougharty. A 9 hole course with a membership of about 90 and a SSS of 66. Course record holders were, amateur P McMullan with a score of 71 and professional J Ervine 70. Visitors’ fees were 2/- a day. Sunday play allowed without caddies. The station at Downpatrick was 7 miles away.
In 1940 membership stood at 75. The long serving Mr MacMurray was still secretary, the pro was now M McConville, and the greenkeeper was J Polley. Records were (a) 65 A Patterson; (p) 64 M McConville Par 68. Visitors’ fees had reduced to 1s 6d per day and 2s on Sundays.
From 1947 to the clubs disappearance in the mid 1950s the joint secretaries were F G G Quayle and R C Watson the greenkeeper was J Polley. The 9 hole course had a SSS of 66 and a Par of 68. Course records held by, amateur A Patterson 65, professional M Mc Conville 64. Visitors’ fees were now 1/6 a day, 2/- on Sundays.