Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Rostrevor Golf Club, County Down.

Founded in 1892.

The original twelve-hole course for the Rostrevor Golf Club was laid out on the Ballyedmond Estate.

Below is a report on the Golf Club at Rostrevor from May 1892.

 

Rostrevor Golf Club, County Down. Newspaper report from May 1892.

From the Tyrone Courier Saturday 14th May 1892. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Report from the Belfast News-Letter of Wednesday 26th April 1893. The second half-yearly competition for the Challenge Cup presented by Major Hall played on the 22nd when a field of 18 competed, The weather was brilliant, almost too much so, but a strong easterly wind, combined with some changes in the course, militated against record-making. The competition was limited to members of the club, two rounds of the green; twenty four holes was the task set. The winner was Mr Cambell Todd, of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, who played in rare form, scores as follows; Campbell Todd, 126-8-118; Thomas Dickson. 121+6-127; Major Hickley, 143-15-128; A E Dickinson, 143-10-133; Major R Hall, 154-15-139; G Vesey, 152-12-140; Captain Vincent, 149-4-145; O Vandeleur, 163-15-148; J G Ramadge, 172-24-148; W Walker, 153-4-149.

On Saturday 29th April 1893 the first of the monthly competitions for the Great Northern Railway Challenge Cup, open to members of recognised Irish clubs, will take place on the links of the links of the Rostrevor Golf Club. The value of the cup is £20.

On Saturday 23rd November 1895 the competition was played for the Narrow-Water Challenge Cup, won by Mr Dempster.  

On the 30th November 1895 the Challenge Cup was competed for on the Balledmond course. The winner was Dr. Martin who defeated F Henry by 3 and 2. The putting greens were in first class condition and much credit was given to the green-keeper Johnny Fleming.

The Rostrevor Golf Club ceased to exist in 1897.

It was reported in the Belfast News-Letter in January 1898 that there was a “Proposed New Golf Club at Warrenpoint.” This is the current club.

The Google Map below shows the location of the earlier course on the Balledmond Estate.