County Monaghan Golf Club.
A meeting was held in the Westenra Arms Hotel on Saturday 21st September 1895 to establish a golf club for Monagahan. Mr Thomas Condell JP was in the chair. Amongst those present were; P Rafferty JP, R H Parke LL,B; J F Dunwoody, solicitor, Dr J Henry, Dr W Dunwoody, A McCartney, manager of the Ulster Bank, W J McMurray, manager Belfast Bank, H J Breakey, S R Henry, John Behan, W H Swan, James P Rafferty, Wm Kerr and Chas D MacAleese. Mr Kerr was appointed secretary and Mr McCartney treasurer. It was unanimously agreed that a golf club should be established, and the ground committee appointed were; Dr Henry, Dr Dunwoody and Mr William Kerr. It was confirmed that the subscription would be half a guinea. On the motion of P Rafferty, seconded by J F Dunwoody, many thanks of the meeting were conveyed to Dr Hall, for giving them use of the land for the course.
In November 1895 the course of the County Monaghan Golf Club was formally opened with a handicap competition. Unfortunately the weather was wet and stormy, which probably accounts for the high scores returned; W Kerr, 100-10-90; Dr Henry 117-16-101; W A Parke, 114-10-104; W McWilliam, 147-30-117; P Rafferty, 146-25-121; J Behan, 152-30-122.