Lisburn Golf Club, Co Antrim.
The Irish Times in September 1934 stated that the club played “On a portion of land used by the club today, formerly part of the Manor House Park, a small band of enthusiasts started to play golf in 1890. The prime mover was a Scotsman Mr Hugh Shaw” This club continued until 1896.
The club was revived in 1905 with a 20 year lease for 40 acres of land at the original location at Longstone Street. President of the club was Harold A M Barbour M.A and the captain George H Clarke.
Only three presidents served the club from 1905 to the 1960s; Harold Barbour (from 1905 to his death in 1938) donated two trophies to the club the Barbour Cup and the Hilden Cup; Rt. Hon. Sir Milne Barbour (succeeded him until his death in 1951); Dr Richard McCandless J.P to 1962.
In the early years the holes were named as follows; Hole one – Alpha; two – Shelter; three – Punch Bowl; four – Cottage; five – Sheep Pen; six – Spion Kop; seven – Catch-my-Pal; eight – Crescent; nine – Omega.
Following WW2 the secretary was W H Greenfield, 12 Locksley Park, Finaghy. The professional was W J Clarke. The nine-hole course had a SSS and Par of 71. Membership was listed at 300. Visitors’ fees were 3/- a day, Saturdays 5/-. Sunday play was not allowed. The station was quarter of a mile away.
In the mid 1950s the secretary and professional were as before. There was now a greenkeeper name W Johnston. Course records were; amateur, E N Williams 68; professional, F Daly 66. The total course measured 5,946 yards. Visitors’ fees had risen to 5/- a day, Sunday play still not allowed.
In the early 1960s the secretary was J H F McCarrison. The professional and greenkeeper was W J Clarke. Sunday play (with members) 4/-.
By the mid 1960s there was no professional listed, the greenkeeper was D Kidd. Visitors’ fees were, 7/6 a day, weekends and holidays 10/-.
Above is the layout of the course in the 1960/70s with Longstone Street to the south; the clubhouse is at the entrance with the first tee to the left and the ninth green to the right.
Card of the course as follows; Hole one – 406 yards, bogey 4; two – 293 yards, 4; three – 334 yards, 4; four – 221 yards, 3; five – 135 yards, 3; six – 450 yards, 5; seven – 476 yards, 5; eight – 306 yards, 4; nine – 368 yards, 4. Total yards (9 holes) 2,989 yards.
In 1972 the secretary was still J McCarrison. The course now measured 5,978 yards with a SSS of 68. There was a membership of over 550. Course records; amateur, K Burns 67; professional F Daly 66. Visitors’ fees were 85p during the week.
The club moved to its present location at Blairs Lodge in June 1973.