Dungannon Golf Club, County Tyrone.
The club was founded in 1890 and was one of the founders of the Golfing Union of Ireland.
The president was the Earl of Ranfurlly. The first captain was John R Mc Donald and the hon. secretary Rev Edward F Campbell. There were nine-holes.
The monthly competition was played at Dungannon Park on Tuesday 7th April 1891, there was, as usual, a fair turn out of spectators, leading scores; R Daniel (captain), 110-25-85; C Edwards, 133-30-103; Colonel Irwin, 138-35-103; Captain J Richardson, 143-40-103; F H Grier, 138-30-108; W Lyle, 157-40-117; James Dickson, 150-30-120; Thomas Dickson, retired.
The 1893/4 Golfing Annual describes a twelve-hole course - but by taking in six of the holes, in a second round, the orthodox eighteen are secured - a very commodious clubhouse was opened recently - at the sole cost of the president.
The following is from the Golfing and Cycling Illustrated, June 1897 (interesting to note that it was 18-holes). Dungannon is one of the few inland clubs which possess an 18-hole course. The links are in the beautiful demesne of the Earl of Ranfurlly. The club has had a prosperous career since it started in 1890. On its links the County Tyrone Cup and the Dunbar and Burton are competed for.
The following is from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook;**Instituted in 1900; Membership of 60; Hon. Sec., J Dickson, Miltown House, Dungannon; Captain, The Earl of Ranfurly; Entrance Fee Nil and Subs £1; Nine Holes: Green-keeper, J Trainor; Amateur Record, WW Scott 36; Terms for Visitors, 1/- a day, 2s/6d a week and 5/- a month. The links are in the park of the Earl of Ranfurly, and the course, which is of an undulating nature, is beautifully situated and surrounded on all sides by fine timber. The ground is a fair type of inland links, the hazards consisting chiefly of a narrow stream, which has to be crossed four times, an old quarry, and trees and rushes here and there, which trap a ball driven off line.
**Interesting to note the Institution date.
The club was located Drumcoo from 1918 to 1953.
In the early 1930s the secretary was S Thompson, Provincial Bank of Ireland, Dungannon; Green-keeper, George Wylie; Nine Holes; Amateur course record, Major T C H Dickson 70; Professional course record, H McNeil 66; Membership, 180; Visitors, 2/- a day. Sunday play not allowed.
Following WW2 the secretary was J H Clugston, Scotch Street, Dungannon.
In 1950/51 the address was Coalisland Road. The secretary was J Berry, Burton Street, Dungannon. Membership of 130. The green-keeper was still G Wylie. The nine-hole course had a SSS and Par of 70. Visitors' fee on introduction, 2/- a day. Sunday play allowed.
The Drumcoo course closed in the 1950s. The club moved to their present location in 1963.