Atlantic Coast Links Golf Club, Kilbrittain. County Cork.
The club was founded in 1903.
In 1903/4 the professional was James Brown.
The following information is taken from the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook; Secretary, W A S Riversdale P.J., Kilbrittain Castle, County Cork; No Entrance Fee - Subs, 21/-; 18-holes; Professional, E Cahill; Professional record - J Brown, 37 (9-holes); Amateur record - Captain Gribble and J Crosbie, 38. These links comprise both an inland and seaside course, and at every stroke there are magnificent land and sea views. The Hotel (whose proprietor is the Secretary) and clubhouse are in the centre of the course, and beside the first tee.
In 1906 the secretary was J F Moriarty of Clonakelty, Kilbrittain, County Cork and the professional M Cahill. It was listed as an 18-hole course at this time. Course records were, amateur J Crosbie 38 and professional J Brown 37. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 5/- a week, and 10/6d per season. Visitors staying at the hotel used the course free of charge. The Station at Bandon was 9 miles away.
The following is an advert of the time for the Atlantic Golf Links Hotel. “The Railway station, Bandon, 9 miles. Car service. Hotel facing the Atlantic amenities include, electric lights. hot, fresh and salt water baths, cuisine perfect, moderate tariff, golf free to hotel visitors. Bathing at all tides good sea fishing, boating, duck and snipe shooting, Croquet and Tennis”
In 1914 it appeared as the Atlantic Golf Club, Kilbrittain. The secretary was J T Moriarty and the professional T Kenny (from 1906). It was now listed as a 9 hole course with a membership of 70. There was no entry fee and the subs were £1/1/0. The fees and conditions were as 1906. There was an additional station listed at Timoleague 5 miles away.
Above is the Atlantic Coast Golf links Hotel which had stunning views over Courtmacsherry Bay. There was a shuttle bus (in the picture) to collect and dispatch its guests and a ferry service to and from Courtmacsherry (the West Cork Railway connected to Courtmacsherry at the time). The Golf Links Hotel operated until the early 1920s when it was sold to the Walsh Family of Bandon at which point it became a private family residence.