Bagenalstown Golf Club, County Carlow.
Founded in 1910 the nine-hole course, designed by Mr W C Pickerton of Portmarnock, was laid out on gravel and loam soil and had a total length of 2,900 yards. The longest hole was 457 yards and the shortest 160 yards. The station was ½ mile from the course which was between the Great Southern & Western Railway and the Carlow and Bagenalstown Road near the home of Mr C R Norton, chairman of the club. The captain in 1910 was A D La Touche.
The local hotels were Wards and Dooley’s.
Professional from 1910 - 1912 was J Kehoe, and from 1912 to 1913 J McKillop. The course was to be re-designed in 1914 when a large number of bunkers were to be added, and the greens re-laid.
In 1914 the secretary was F B Brown, Long Range, Bagenalstown. The Professional was still J Kehoe. The membership was 100 Gents and 50 Ladies. There was no entry fee. Subs were £1 for gents and 10/- for ladies. Family tickets were available at £2. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 5/- a week and 10/- a month. Sunday play was allowed with caddies.
1922 and 1923 the joint secretaries were F B Brown and P F Newman. Visitors’ fees were now 2/- a day, 5/- a week and 10/- a month. Record score of 36 for both amateur and professional.
The professional and green keeper from 1929, probably until the course closed, was M O’Reilly.
In 1940 and 1947 the secretary was P J Fitzpatrick, Main Street, Bagenalstown, telephone number 8. The 9 hole course had a S.S.S and Par of 76 and a membership of 120. Amateur course record holder was J Jordan 34. Visitors’ fees were unchanged.
Bagenalstown Golf Club had disappeared by 1951.