Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Ballyshannon Golf Club, Donegal.

The club was founded in 1907.

It was reported in November 1907 that a meeting was to be held in the Courtroom on Friday 22nd for the purpose of forming a golf club. Full particulars were available from the secretary; Mrs K G Townsend, Manor House, Ballyshannon.

In April 1909 the annual meeting was held in the Courtroom for the "Ballyshannon And Bundoran Golf Club" Mr E D Pentland was in the chair. The treasurer reported a substantial balance in hand. The following officers were appointed; president, Colonel Tynte; captain, Dr L R Lipsett; treasurer, Mr E D Pentland; secretary, Mr H E Martin. Committee; Mr & Mrs F G Townsend; W H Miller; T Gorman. Handicap Committee; Dr Lipsett, A Volk, T Gorman, F G Townsend.      

In 1914 the secretary was F G Townsend, Carrickboy, Ballyshannon and the professional W Matheson. A 9 hole course that was partly inland and partly seaside with splendid views. The greens were good and well kept. The club had a membership of 160. There was no entry fee. Subs for gents were £1/5/0 and ladies 15/-. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day, 3/6 a week, 7/6 a month, Ladies paid 9d, 2/6 and 5/- respectively. There were no restrictions for ladies. Sunday play was not allowed. The Station was 1 mile away.

 

Ballyshannon Golf Club, Donegal. Silver Golf Club Button.

A lovely Hallmarked silver button, Dublin 1909, for the very short lived Ballyshannon Golf Club (maker Thomas Weir & Sons.) Image Courtesy of Dixon Pickup.

 

Ballyshannon Golf Club, Donegal. Reverse of the silver button.

Reverse of the Dublin silver button with the TW maker mark.

 

Ballyshannon Golf Club, Donegal. The Ballyshannon Clubhouse?

Above is a pre WW1 postcard with a Ballyshannon postmark. Was this the Ballyshannon course?

 

Ballyshannon Golf Club closed in 1916.