Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Newtownbarry Golf Club, County Wexford.

Founded 1903/1906.

A nine-hole course. In the early years there were stations at Ferns 8 miles and Tullow 12 miles away. Joe Roberts who was the professional prior to WW1 and must have lived to a ripe old age as he was listed as the professional and greenkeeper when the club disappeared in the 1970s. Alternatives are that the club finished much earlier, there is evidence that it could have closed in the mid 1960s. or there could have been two Joe Roberts.

Below are competition results from May 1907.

 

Newtownbarry Golf Club, County Wexford. Competition results from the Irish Times May 1907.

From the Irish Times May 4th 1907. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

In 1914 the secretary was Geo Lewis of Mall House. There was a membership of 80. There was no entry fee. Subs were £1. Visitors’ fees were 1/- a day and 4/- a week. Sunday play allowed without caddies. The season was September to June at this time.

In 1923 the secretary was M McDermott-Gunning. A 9 hole course with a membership of 84. Visitors’ fees on introduction 2/6 a day.

In the late 1920s the secretary was A H Ellis, Bank House, Newtownbarry. The professional and now also green-keeper was Joe Roberts. There was a membership of 80 and the S.S.S at this time was 70. Local hotels were The Mall and the Kings Arms.

In 1940 and towards the end of its existence in 1972 the joint secretaries were the Reverend Jas Quigley and E A Owens. The professional and at this time also the green-keeper was the long serving Joe Roberts. A 9-hole course with a SSS and Par of 71 and a membership of 50. Course records, amateur, Reverend F Quigley with a score of 68, professional J Roberts 70. Visitors’ fees on introduction were 1/6 a day (8p in 1972) and 5/- a week (25p in 1972). Sunday play was allowed. The station at Ferns was now 7 miles away.

Newtownbarry Golf Club disappeared in the mid 1970s.

The town of Newtownbarry reverted to its original name of Bunclody in 1950.

If anyone can help with the history or the location of the former Newtownbarry golf course please "Contact Us" via the website homepage.