Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Newcastle West Golf Club, Co. Limerick. 

It was decided at a meeting held in April 1938 to form a golf club at Newcastle West.

The first course was on land leased at Killeline were a nine-hole course was laid out. D Murray from Tipperary was appointed to carry out the professional duties. The official opening took place on 21 September 1938. The first competition was held a week later and was won by D O’Dwyer runner-up was J Ambrose.

Nothing further was found until the early 1970s when the club reappeared. The secretary at this time was K P Kennedy. The nine-hole meadowland course (5,586 yards) had a SSS of 67 it was situated half mile south of Newcastle. There was a membership of just over 200. Visitors’ fees were 50p.

During the 1980s the secretary was R Cussen. Membership had risen to 345. The course had an amended yardage of 5,482 yards. The amateur course record was held by D Kennedy with a score of 65. Visitors’ fees were £1.

In the early 1990s the SSS was 65. Membership was now 400. Visitors’ fees were £6. 

The club moved to its current location at Rathgonan in May 1994.