Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Skibbereen & West Carberry Golf Club, County Cork. 

Instituted in 1905.

The earlier nine-hole course was located at Castlelands.

The first mention for the club at Skibbereen is from The 1905/6 Golfing Annual. It gives a foundation date of 1905. The hon. secretary was Lieutenant S T Stephens, Skibbereen. The club had a nine-hole course and a membership of 56.

An inter-club match was played on St Patrick’s Day 1909 at Bantry against Skibbereen, the hosts winning. 

In the Irish Golfers Guide in 1910 it was listed as West Carbery Golf with a nine-hole course a quarter of a mile from the Skibbereen Railway Station.

The club continues to appear in the Irish Golfing Guide from 1911- 1916. The captain throughout was Mr R P Chambers, at the West Carbery Golf Club.

In June 1932 Mrs D Hackett won the L.G.U monthly spoon competition at West Carbery with a score of 91-36-55. The scratch score was 66.

The following is from the 1933 Golfer,s Handbook; West Carberry Golf Club; Secretary - H O'Neil, Bank of Ireland, Skibbereen; Green-keeper, J Attridge; Nine-holes; Station at Skibereen three quarters of a mile; Visitors' fees, 1s/6d a day; 5s a week; 10s a month. Sunday play allowed.

The current club was founded in 1935 with a course at Licknavar.  

The club was about a quarter to three quarters of a mile from the Railway Station. If anyone can help with the location of the earlier golf course at Castlelands please get in touch via the “Contact Us” facility on the website homepage.