Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Scotstounhill (Bankhead) Golf Club, Glasgow.

The following is an extract of a report that appeared in the Glasgow Herald on the 22nd November 1894. “To the rapidly increasing list of golf courses around Glasgow is to be added a new green at Scotstounhill. It is nine-holes in extent and is laid out on the farm of Bankhead. The ground is rented from Mr John Gardner, the tenant of Bankhead, and it was chiefly through his enterprise at the outset that the club was started. No inland course can be compared to a sea links, but by a judicious placing of hazards and cultivation of turf it may be made an excellent substitute. The members of the Scotstounhill club have left nothing undone to place their course in order. The holes have been laid out to take advantage of the ground available and the result is there are several “long holes” which afford good tests of the power of golf. The hazards consist mainly of hedges but they are formidable. The course is made more difficult by the rough nature of the country out of bounds, and balls played off line are suitably punished. The first hole is a possible four. A high ball must be played from the tee to negotiate a hedge and roadway. A pulled ball will probably go into the plantation. The approach is a half-iron shot. The feature of the second hole is a formidable hedge, 50 yards from the tee. A very long drive will reach the green, but a short wrist-pitch will usually have to be played for the approach. The green is bowl shaped, and the putting requires to be carefully played. The third hole is a grand long one, and after two long drives a long shot remains to be played. The difficulty of the approach is increased by the green lying at the foot of a hill, with a burn behind it. A five will be par play. The course then turns back, and the fourth hole is along a valley with a high green. A grass field will punish a pulled ball. Still playing along the side of the grass field the fifth hole presents nothing new, and if the drive is good a four should be registered. The sixth is perhaps the best hole on the course. Two hedges and a road, which have to be played over at an acute angle, constitute the first hazard. Another two long shots have to be made before the green is reached. The green is a beautiful piece of natural turf. (For some reason there is no description of holes seven and eight). The ninth hole may be driven in one, but there are a couple of hedges in front of the green and the best game is to spare the drive and pitch over the hedges. The members have obtained a room in the farmhouse and it has been suitably equipped.” Following are the approximate hole yardages; Hole One, 220 yards; Two, 175; Three, 555; Four, 284; Five, 148; Six, 250; Seven, 252; Eight, 310; Nine, 178.

In the 1905 Nisbet's Golf Yearbook the Scotstounhill Golf Club was stated as being founded in 1894. Nine hole course; The secretary was D F Eason, British Linen Company Bank, Partick; Captain, R Robinson; Professional and Green-keeper, A Alexander. Course records; professional, A Alexander 73; amateur, D F Eason 74; Number of members, 250; Entrance fee £1/1s, subs £1/10s; Visitors not admitted. "The course is prettily situated on the land of Mr Spiers of Elderslie, and is most convenient for the players of the west end of Glasgow."  

Following is the result of the “Greenkeeper’s Benefit Competition” played in October 1913; first class – S R Thorburn (4), 3up; F M Campbell (6), 2up; J Bell (scratch), square; N C Thomson (+2), 1down; C F Welch (scratch), 1down; S A Pinkerton (1), 3down; second class – A C Beard (11), square; P D Thorburn (7), J S Ramsay (9), E G Cere (11), R C Jamieson (13) all 4down. Ladies’ Eclectic Competition; Miss J McFarlane (12), 73; Miss Robertson (25), 76; Miss Carlaw (15), 77. 

Originally a nine-hole course, by 1923 there were two courses, an 18-hole course and a relief course of 9-holes. Membership stood at 450 to 500 gents, 250 to 300 ladies, and 50 youths.  Railway stations at Scotstounhill (NBR) and Scotstoun West (CR).

  Secretary and Treasurer Professional/greenkeeper
1920s N C Thomson CA, 65 Renfield Street, Glasgow  
1911-29   J Manclark (p) A Thomson (g)
1927-29 R G J Kirk CA, 212 St Vincent Street, Glasgow  

In 1926 course records were: (a) A Jamieson junior 69; (p) D Sutherland and T Wilson 70.

By 1930 this course and the Glasgow North Western Golf Club course were required by the Greater Glasgow Housing Association for building development. Bankhead and Glasgow North Western amalgamated and became Hilton Park Golf Club.

The Google Map below pinpoints the “Bankhead” area, location of the former course.