Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Eastwood Golf Club, Glasgow.

The club was founded in 1891.

The course lay between Giffnock and Thornliebank, to the south of the railway line. The area is now known as Orchard Park. Names suggested for the club included Giffnock and Robslee, but these were rejected in favour of Eastwood.

In February 1892 it was reported that Willie Campbell, professional golfer, had inspected land for a nine-hole course at Greenock. He reported that the area selected could eventually be made into an eighteen-hole course.

In March 1892 the Eastwood club secured the services of the young professional James Douglas as their green-keeper. Douglas had previously worked at North Berwick and he had “laboured with a right royal will to get the course into proper golfing order.”

The course was opened on 14th May 1892 by Mrs Mann, wife of the club captain, who was presented with a putter which is still given today to the runner up in the Club Championship. The event of the day was a foursomes match involving Ben Sayers (North Berwick) and David Armstrong (St Andrews) against George Douglas (North Berwick) and James Douglas (Eastwood). Two rounds of the nine-holes were played, George and James Douglas eventually winning on the eighteenth.

Following is an extract from a report that appeared in the Glasgow Herald on 16th May 1892. It provides an interesting description of the course. “The hazards are so well distributed that no two holes are alike. Unlike many inland courses, over which one may go over with a putter and cleek, the Giffnock green calls into play the lofting iron. The holes that may be approached by running up, and the golfer who has learned to play mashie approaches will have the best chance, as over running the green is fatal. The record of the green, by James Douglas, is 41, but this will be reduced when the hazards are toned down a little by playing.”

The monthly medal was held at Giffnock on Saturday 5th November 1892, result as follows; John Bremner, 114-18-96; William Kelly, 105-9-96; Thomas Mitchell, 107-6-101; A MacGibbon, 119-14-105; William Boyd sen, 129-22-107; J Neville, 120-12-108; John Edgar, 131-21-110. 

Despite the earlier optimism the club did not succeed and all the members resigned at the end of 1892, moving to form Pollok Golf Club.

The course was unused until 1893, when Eastwood Golf Club was re-formed by the YMCA, it reopened in 1894.

The AGM was held at the Christian Institute on Wednesday 28th March 1900, Mr T Eaton Robinson in the chair. The satisfactory annual report was produced by the secretary, John S Samuel. Membership was about 260, with the full complement of 50 ladies. James Airlie jnr, treasurer, submitted the financial report which showed a credit balance of £27/8s/6d. The chairman presented the Eastwoodhill and Overtoun medals to George Fox and T Tullis Cochran respectively. The following appointments were made; William Crookston, captain; R B Galloway, vice-captain; John S Samuel, secretary; James Airlie jnr, treasurer; Adam Smith succeeded James Morgan as match secretary.

Result of the Eastwoodhill and Overtoun medals played at Giffnock on Saturday 18th August 1900. The Eastwoodhill medal, for “Class A” players, was won by George Fox jnr, 77+3-80. The Overtoun medal, for “Class B” players, was won by H M Thomson, 97-14-83. Other scores; John Stevenson, 95-11-84; T Chalmers, 99-14-85; A G R Copeland, 99-3-87; James Tait, 98-11-87; Peter McArthur, 102-14-88; William Graham, 89-1-88; William Patterson, 102-11-91.   

The course was extended to 18 holes in 1911. Glasgow Corporation took over part of the land to extend the cemetery, leaving the altered course at 5089 yards, SSS69.

In 1932, Eastwood was the first club to introduce 3 ball matches in medal play, in an attempt to reduce delays.

On 12th May 1936, immediately before the Club were due to hold a meeting to discuss buying the land themselves, they were informed that it had been sold to builders and their lease was to terminate on 28th December 1936.

The club eventually moved to their present location at Muirshead.

Eastwood Golf Club, Glasgow. Location of the former course..

Location of the Eastwood course in 1914. Grid reference NS 55800,59375, co-ordinates 255800,659375.