Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Blackhill Golf Club, Glasgow.

Blackhill was the home of Glagow Golf Club until 1904, the club then moved to its present course at Killermont. The Blackhill course continued as a municipal run club until the 1930s when the land was required for building development.

The Corporation Course at Blackhill was formally opened on the afternoon of Saturday 4th June 1904. The Lord Provost, Sir John Ure Primrose, officiated at the opening ceremony.

Playing a practice game over the Blackhill course in July 1908 David Burgess of the Montrose Mercantile Club recorded a fine score of 67; Out – 4,3,4,3,5,3,4,4,4 = 34; In – 3,3,4,4,4,3,4,4,4 = 33, total 67.  This equalled the score made earlier by professional James Braid.    

In October 1909 the thirteenth annual golf competition for the championship of Glasgow was held at Blackhill. It was won by David Bone with a score of 68.

Result of the June 1913 Blackhill Golf Club monthly medal; D Shingleton (6), 73; J Lindsay (9), 77; A Martin (20), 83; R Thornton (10), D Chester (22), 86; Foursome bogey result; A Martin and J McColl, 3down; A Thomson and D Malone, 5down. 

 

Blackhill Golf Club, Glasgow. The clubhouse and course.

The Blackhiil Clubhouse just prior to WW1.

 

Blackhill Golf Club, Glasgow. Location of the golf course.

Location of the former Blackhill course.

Grid reference NS62860,66775, co-ordinates 262860,666775.