Open Search -

Like us on Facebook


Course Atlas -

Course Atlas



Please consider supporting our efforts.

Amount: 


Carluke Golf Club, Lanarkshire. (1893 - 1912)

The club was founded in 1893.

It was reported in October 1893 that Carluke was to have its own golf course. On Saturday 21st October Mr Forgan played over the course and was of the opinion that the course would prove a popular one. The average distance of the holes was “over 200 yards” and played over three large fields.

The original nine-hole course was to the south of the town on the Boghall Road. The course was opened on Saturday 14th April 1894 by the Rev Mr Fraser accompanied by the club president, Mr R Fillans.

It was reported in the Motherwell Times in June 1895 that the Motherwell club would be making its debut with a ten a side match against Carluke Golf Club played at Motherwell. 

Result of the monthly competition for the challenge medal played on the Langshaw course on Saturday 13th October 1894; William Russell, 63; Alexander Jack, 68; James Barr, 71; David Chalmers, 72; Charles Eason, 76.

Below is the result of a match played at Carluke against Motherwell Golf Club in June 1896.

Carluke Golf Club   Motherwell Golf Club  
Mr Fraser 0 Mr Leggat 3
J Barr jnr 9 Mr Brough 0
M Balsillie 10 Mr Ferguson 0
A Jack 2 Mr Aitken 0
D Chalmers 7 Mr McLellan 0
J Kelly 0 Mr McGeachan 0
A Murray 0 Mr Duncan 0
G R Dick 4 Mr McMillan 0
J Martin 0 Mr King 3
C Eason 2 Mr Reid 0
  34   6

 

In 1903/4 the secretary was William Crawford, Whiteshaw, Carluke. The club had a membership of 90, there was no entry fee and the subs were 10/6, ladies 5/-. The amateur record was held by T Smith, 70.

Following is a description of the course from the 1904 Nisbet’s Golf Yearbook – Some of the holes on this course are rather short, but the want of distance is made up for by an abundance of hazards, such as roads, fences, gullies etc. The turf is good and the course is always dry.”

Below is a report on the opening of the course for the new season in April 1907.

 

Carluke Golf Club, Lanarkshire. The opening of the golf course for the 1907 season.

From the Carluke and Lanark Gazette Saturday 20th April 1907. Image © THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Below is the result of a match played on the Langshaw course against Shotts Golf Club in April 1909.

Carluke Golf Club   Shotts Golf Club  
J W Martin (halved) 0 A W Hill (halved) 0
John Martin 1 Forrest Hamilton 0
A Cadzow 1 John Forrest 0
Hugh Martin 1 James Somerville 0
W Craig 1 John Brown 0
Jim Martin 1 James Forrest 0
J C Smith 1 W Chalmers 0
A McMaster (halved) 0 D Scoullar (halved) 0
Charles Eason (halved) 0 W Gibb (halved) 0
Robert Martin 1 James Chalmers 0
J B Stewart 1 C N Gibb 0
J Pillans 0 John Chalmers (halved) 0
  8   0

Below is a report from November 1912 on the annual meeting and the move to the new home at Hallcraig where an 18-hole golf course was to be laid out.

 

Carluke Golf Club, Lanarkshire. The annnual meeting and the new course November 1912.

From the Carluke and Lanark Gazette Saturday November 16th 1912. Image © Johnston Press plc. Image created courtesy of THE BRITISH LIBRARY BOARD.

 

Carluke Golf Club, Lanarkshire. Location of the course on Boghall Road.

The former course at Langshaw. Grid reference NS85705 49255, co-ordinates 285705 649255.